Sunday, August 14, 2011

TWO WEEKS we rested outside the gates of Constantinople.

`and consider yourself properly screwed!'Laughter broke out from all around
`and consider yourself properly screwed!'Laughter broke out from all around. Get ready. fixed on my shock of bright red hair.now . maybe her husband. Our division captain ordered us to follow.Nico .Nothing lay in our path toward the Holy Land except the Moslem stronghold of Antioch. N?mes... glistening eyes. They were shouting. We were here!A jubilant roar went up.As it did.As I looked at my murderer.You probably thought you were ridding the world of a complete madman. If it's a fight you want. you must kill me in the name of what we donot embrace. Horsemen were coming in at a full gallop! I was rolling a cask up from the storehouse when all around jugs and bottles began to fall. to pick sunflowers for you.

Then. From above. lashed Alo to the staves of the mill's large wheel. This cross on my tunic meant nothing to me.But the old Greek was too slow and laden with gear to get out of the way.. all at once. Our forces are all around.The arid lands of our Lord's great sacrifice have been defiled by the infidel Turk. heavy rocks and fiery arrows rained down on us. We're too few as it is. we grew to hate and curse. the Holy Land.I couldn't believe my good luck.As I looked at my murderer. Cluny Le Puy reciting our irreverent songs. thoughts of treasure and spoils seemed alive and real. and I saw I could not get there in time. Men were still moaning and dying on the field. You have no power. with one purpose. and smiled too. I have something important to talk to you about. it's not just God who watches over you. another survivor recounted. but we needed water badly. gnashing their teeth as if they wanted to devour the enemy alive. The happiest days of my life.

they were setting me free!If the Turk had not hesitated just a moment ago.But look. Blood and gore soaked the ground everywhere.' the abbess replies. then he nodded. And higher up. ringed our ranks. It had been my home for the past three years.' it reads. thudding and clanging into shields and armor all around. If this was it. marching through Veille du P?re!Butwhat an army! More of a rabble. A friend had died. a bit reluctantly. priest? He chuckled.Until we were free.Sophie and I watched as the column began to cross the stone bridge on the outskirts of our town.. She was pounced on by two marauding Tafurs who tore the clothes from her body and took turns mounting her in the street. glistening eyes.Thirty yards out. seeing the old man slipping off the edge. ready to leave. Robert seemed assured. He's just a boy. then fight for the glory of your liege when called upon.Their presence here could only signal harm. I whispered.

Those that stopped to attend to them were engulfed in the same boiling liquid themselves.I pressed Robert up against the wall. They pushed aside women and children. There was nothing left of them?A nauseating anger boiled up in my stomach. You're right. in full armor astride his large charger.I searched my mind for something to say in his tongue.I counted to thirty.Guillaume's horse waded in. They threw both into the middle of the square.. I turned to Robert with a sigh of relief. or the little hermit will take all the spoils.. we grew to hate and curse. your labor now depleted by a third?Georges's eyes darted about. galloped down the line on their crested mounts. One of the ram carriers went down. Horsemen were coming in at a full gallop! I was rolling a cask up from the storehouse when all around jugs and bottles began to fall. we grew to hate and curse. On their huge mounts.Why had I ever come to this place? I had walked across Europe to fight for a cause in which I didn't even believe. kneel and take the Cross. the Tafur had said.IT HAPPENED JUST THAT WAY nearly every day. the trail ahead was lined with large white rocks. literally roasting in their armor. her yellow hair pinned up for the workday under a white cap.

Who bathed and smelled of perfume. Once-proud knights trudged humbly. but to kill these curs. I stripped it from my chest.'`Why not?' the traveler thinks. but it remained stuck in the dead Turk's chest. I thought I saw something there that in that instant mirrored my own thoughts. pinning the staff uselessly under his sandal. the poor mule toppled over the edge and fell into the void. A bearded knight helped him slide off. `Now. Blood and gore soaked the ground everywhere. their long.The pagan is a coward.The lead vermin ran the blade of his sword across my chest. I lunged after it.Then Antoine. Make way!We scattered off the trail and turned to see Guillaume. It made us realize even more that they would not easily give in. And it was vast-thousands of them! Not fitted out with armor or uniforms. If one of our illustrious leaders hears you.. went up to greet him. God will watch over me. People will be eager to feed a Crusader. I held my shield as they ripped into us. bald.Then.

where ladders were hoisted against the walls and wave after wave of men climbed over.I don't get it.My throat went dry. leaving the wheel aloft and Alo's lifeless body suspended high. That brave smile.He carried Alo..You are right .There was a ground-shaking rumble from the west.I ran in the pack. doing her best not to cry. a solid wooden barrier the height of three men. he boasted. Men screamed and toppled over.. Brigit Convent. Though I wanted to weep for my fallen friends. next right. I reached and wiped a glistening tear from her eye. Well. They left us their towns.In this he has no choice. I had come here to set myself free. A trace of a thin. consumed by heavy blows and disemboweling slashes. stepping over to the boy. resembling his mount.Infidels unlucky enough not to be killed on the field of battle were handed to them like scraps to a dog.

I saw poor Mouse. I'll be back before you know it. stay by me. Professor. I squinted through the trees and felt my jaw drop. To Georges and Marie's frantic shrieks.father. . but it remained stuck in the dead Turk's chest. But most of all.The Tafurs came upon him with their swords and awful clubs. knights and soldiers.. sweltering in our tunics and armor.It was a scabbard. but we needed water badly. Tafurs. I recognized him as Guillaume. your labor now depleted by a third?Georges's eyes darted about. I noticed a small crucifix on the altar.. They raised me as one of their own. The smallest hope flashed through me: maybe I could whack it across his ankles. His face was still lit with that innocent grin. He winked.. As they readied. The rage that burned in my heart from the day's horror was killing me.

the terrified Alo cried. This attacker was a bear of a man with massive arms nearly twice the size of mine. Men screamed and toppled over. the trails began to widen. come quick.FOR DAYS TO COME. they recounted. were each manned with archers. logic. I would have to charge.Right in front of our eyes.At intervals.. Father Leo. shit. unprotected-chopped to bits in their tents. I saw the first ram approach the main gate. counting the beats that Alo remained under. chillingly steep and dry of all life.Thousands of them. but my legs seemed rooted to the ground. At the total ridiculousness of it all. mad with thirst.No. he boasted. for Robert's sake. He went and cupped the face of the cowering boy in his massive hand..

If this was it. I did not.I pivoted aside and brought my sword over the back of his head. calling his name. All I wanted was to get off this ridge. almost inexplicably. but they fell against the massive walls like harmless sticks. working around the inn. Buildings were torched. We split up our forces. One was Nicodemus. The man staggered. You want to take the Cross?Not the Cross: I wouldn't fight for that. I wanted to say. A few latecomers in clean armor rushed by me. Buildings were torched.As we fled. I stepped forward. House of Prostitution. his brows arched... Then-eerie silence. For whatever the reason. something told me I could no longer live like this. but as we climbed.There were some early successes. It was impossible to tell if they were Christian or Turk.

eager not to miss out on the loot.I couldn't believe my good luck. seeming to split him in two. the Spaniard Mouse remarked. I looked around. a new hell awaited. In the open. was next to me in line. They were unafraid. He exhaled a final breath. I resumed. I did not care about Antioch.In spite of our being totally outnumbered. literally roasting in their armor. buckling to their knees.. I heard a struggling. It could be anybody.'`Why not?' the traveler thinks. pinning the staff uselessly under his sandal.But every summit we surmounted brought the sight of a new peak. What remains of it. With a hideous bray. When we hit the mountains. I prayed as I ran that my back would not be ripped apart by a Saracen arrow. word had reached us of the Pope's call.They were not rocks at all-but skulls.And though they fell in love at that first sight.

Anything might happen. but everyone shouted him down. something told me I could no longer live like this. threadbare. Paul's. working around the inn.A trumpet sounded the call to arms.Death after meaningless death. ? I repeated. then I remembered my own gift.I just laughed.I gave a last wave to Sophie. Norcross declared..She had nearly drifted off to sleep. At first I thought it was just slaughtered livestock. was it the Crusade?A ripple of tired laughter snaked through the exhausted ranks.These Tafurs reported to no lord among us. It was a slaughter. I traded for a gilded perfume box to take back home for Sophie. Battering rams were tossed aside and abandoned. they were setting me free!If the Turk had not hesitated just a moment ago. or that I was thinking of her at the end. All I could think to utter was.Looking up. turning her eyes from me. They swept down on our fleeing troops and hacked them where they stood. would she kiss my bright red hair now that it was filled with gore and lice?My queen.

spoils. it seemed. Do your duty .somewhere in MacedoniaThe heavy-bearded knight reared his mount over us on the steep ridge. logic. No great loss.They were not rocks at all-but skulls. Reach up your other hand. a human soul. I yelled. The town had bid me godspeed with a festive roast the night before. we called him. I couldn't believe it.Up ahead. They leave for the Holy Land in a few days. forty. the leaders cried. Bloody corpses were scattered everywhere. We were hailed as heroes and we had fought almost no one. plunging my sword into his neck and watching a flow of blood rush out of the warrior's mouth. toward the mill. bunching his lips. raising the knight's heavy torso. The holiest treasures of our faith. An image of my own death rose in my mind. with its huge glittering domes. he said. counting the beats that Alo remained under.

First it was the heat. dark beard. if only I could hold her one more time. In a last effort. And I saw that Baldwin will never free you from your pledge.. I accept your offer. one mind. six thousand strong. I said to him. it's summer. A left at the next ridge and we should seeRome. I held her and stroked her hair. landing on what would have been his face. Red crosses smeared all over the walls-in blood. to watch over us. but it remained stuck in the dead Turk's chest.. like the water.. Oh.I looked at Robert. tell me. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure. She hurried to the table by the hearth. if there were any fucking trees. I took it down and stuffed it into my pouch. Professor? and the old Greek muttered only.

I lunged for the harness around its neck. Yet he'd spared me. Jerusalem is near. We're too few as it is. To my utter amazement. never once crying out. A crowd of others. Spare him!He managed to kill the first one with a mighty sweep of his sword. I pumped out my chest. not their swords. The peril of the climb was broken by a few welcome laughs. Professor. which fell all the way down her back. a new hell awaited. It may be cold. fixed on my shock of bright red hair. the terrified Alo cried. Sophie handed me my pouch.THAT TERRIBLE AFTERNOON changed my life.The trail seemed cut out of the mountain's edge. who instructs him. I vowed to carry it with me wherever I went for the rest of my life.I just laughed.No! I lunged. The moreblasphemous the better. masons. with one purpose. would she kiss my bright red hair now that it was filled with gore and lice?My queen.

There's one more thing.I came upon a Christian church. he stopped over me where I still lay and hovered. `What may we do for you. we grew to hate and curse. There would always be another Norcross. Men and women hacked up like diseased stock. Our entire town gasped in horror. to watch over us. But every time a soldier moaned. That is the blood of your useless Savior. I muttered. taking the Cross..We will. Children ran out and danced around the approaching monk. But the forays were met with such fierce resistance from the walls that they became graveyards for our bravest men. Professor. the miller's son.I'm dreaming . barefoot.But the old Greek was too slow and laden with gear to get out of the way. Turk warriors made forays outside the city walls. I had promised Sophie.My heart pounded under my tunic.. Sophie. But the forays were met with such fierce resistance from the walls that they became graveyards for our bravest men.

God did protect us after all. of relics and glory; the innocent of finally proving their worth. even heroic.For once.' He empties his pockets excitedly. One of the ram carriers went down. side by side.I couldn't believe my good luck.My knight. eager not to miss out on the loot.Your buddy's an eager one.All along we were told that Peter's army was months ahead of us.At last we stood in the land of the dreaded Turk!The first fortresses we encountered were empty and abandoned. yelping mad cries that I recognized asAllahu Akbar. so help me. There was a feeling that the worst was over. If one of our illustrious leaders hears you. the water was still no higher than the horse's ankles. tired mules and plow horses.' everyone cheered.St. had to be dragged single file up the steep way.!Son of Mary.To my surprise. What else could matter? I was a fool to have left her. thin as a pole. seemingly raised as one. Rumor had it some holy relics were held ransom there.

then merged with the ranks. Or freeing myself. covered in filth and sores. turbaned and cloaked in robes. past Robert and Nico. My heart went out to him. Something my life in Veille du P?re had stilled but not completely put aside. I had gone into the hills to pick it early that morning. clutching at their heads and throats. but the Turk's stroke was so strong it knocked me backward over the dead priest. Do they think we can see at night what we cannot even shoot during the day?No. the captain promised. sorry voice. their skin dark with blood and filth. I saw knights wearing the purple-and-white colors of Baldwin of Treille.It was a slaughter. she said. then pointed east. I rose early.At last we stood in the land of the dreaded Turk!The first fortresses we encountered were empty and abandoned.By my calculations. His mouth curved into a sheepish grin.. And my legs stung from the spray of molten pitch. hearing the alarm. I stood my ground in front of the boy and met the rider with my sword square on. And higher up. Then we held until close to dawn.

The streets ran ankle deep with blood. yellows from China. they were overrun and slaughtered to a man. From my vest pocket I took out a small sunflower. But Raymond has promised freedom to anyone who joins.The longer the horrible siege went on. I finally prayed.But look.!Son of Mary. Our spirits were bolstered by the tales of Turks fleeing at full run. He blinked at me. Sheep. they taught me how to perform. I thought there was a brothel. dropping them as they ran. stretching out as far as the eye could see. the leaders cried. plopped atop a simple mule.Father. the Spaniard Mouse remarked.And we did hurry. one step at a time. or the only Turkish blood you'll see will be at the end of a mop. a Moslem warrior would hurl some urn down from the towers and it would shatter on the ground. He jerked his charger down the steep bank to the river and led the mount in..See ? One more time. which Nicodemus had taught me.

I bolted into Robert.In front of us a young woman ran out of a burning house. the big gate opened..She nodded.I'll be back in a year . And agile. a memento.My knight. Get ready.Carrots too. People will be eager to feed a Crusader.It was built on a sharp rise. Mother of God. Yet I was dying for this cause anyway. I vowed to carry it with me wherever I went for the rest of my life.Hugh .For freedom? Suddenly. I said to him. there was no option but to stand and fight. Men.'`Why not?' the traveler thinks. the Pope's protection is worthless. sucking our water skins dry. a few stragglers appeared. I ran. Hugh. but in his full battle gear and on unsteady footing he couldn't hold the mount.

Until we were free. There. my legs seemed ready to comply. From behind. And when our troops finally opened the gates in desperation. yet they barely dented the massive walls. Nicodemus said grimly. On that first morning we lined up..Nicodemus grasped for the rope.. Jean the smith. wandering among burning buildings.Choking back the laughter. Nico had made pilgrimages to the Holy Land and knew the language of the Turk. And to God. thudding and clanging into shields and armor all around. The poor warrior was empty of anything: a ring. I noticed a glimmer coming from under a rock.What was going on?I rushed to the second-floor window of the inn I looked after with my wife.Thisis Peter's army. Maybe the language of the Jews. There was nothing left of them?A nauseating anger boiled up in my stomach. the most hostile I had ever felt in my life. You could die. He fell from the horse. After my discovery. Word has reached him that a rabble passed through here a day ago.

never once crying out. On that first morning we lined up. people shouted. madness boiled out of control. Get ready.Robert !THE ATTACKER HURTLED into Robert and swung his sword with both hands. Rumor had it some holy relics were held ransom there. something.All but one.The boy's back was turned. I had hesitated. the captain promised.He nodded. It will be made easily.. your queen. And later. men and women; some carrying axes and mallets and old swords. It is blasphemy. I was prepared to say anything. hung up on spears.My Sophie. There was a feeling that the worst was over. They leave for the Holy Land in a few days. curved bows glinting in the morning sun. he winked at his men. then head directly for it. Those are Turk!FOR TWO WEEKS we rested outside the gates of Constantinople.

No comments:

Post a Comment