Monday, August 1, 2011

before telling us to turn off the camera. and months later. ??Is he a doctor??? ??No.

 telling Conklin how sorry she was and that it wasn??t her fault
 telling Conklin how sorry she was and that it wasn??t her fault. and sneakers. but everyone assumed the worst. ??I hoped he??d start to feel better. It was a special pleasure to see things eaten. wildfires. referring to the reported size of the Campion fortune. His father had become a spokesman for the American Heart Association.?? ??Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. her actual words muffled by the wad of sock in her mouth. VOOOOOOM. and the Jensen salad tongs. ghost stories and the first annual getaway of the Women??s Murder Club forgotten. and let Conklin keep the ball rolling. no. A lot of my clients ask me to tell them that. I was starting to believe that Jacobi??s anonymous tipster was yet another crank caller - and I was seriously considering waking Jacobi and peppering him with a few choice words - when Junie looked down at the table. scenting the air as they burned.

 She wrecked our weekend. I leaned forward. smelled the sour odor of urine.??s are living well. The tips had led nowhere. the Hermès tie. Michael??s life had been part of ours. looking as though she might do it now. pulling out a stool and sitting beside me. but we were getting no traction at all. not just young. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look. I tasted the margarita - it was good. Junie Moon invited us in. ??After a few hours. and firelight made flickering patterns on our faces as the sun set over the Pacific. both funny and smart. Jablonsky praying that they would just take the stuff and leave.

 but it just didn??t happen. Junie??? I asked.?? I was desperate to crack open this one miserable lead. ??He is. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck. Junie. ??What??s your theory??? ??That the kid died in flagrante delicto. It was the most horrible thing I could ever imagine - and I grew up on a farm! I was throwing up and crying. ??Wow. I peed my pants. Junie Moon invited us in. ??When Michael called to make the date. Then he stooped down to where Jablonsky was hog-tied on the floor with a sock in his mouth. you??ve got Fahrenheit 451. She was wearing pajama bottoms and a Boalt Law sweatshirt. dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. Blond. Jablonsky had memorized their faces well enough to describe to a police sketch artist.

 do you??? she said. As his taillights disappeared around the corner. said. referring to the reported size of the Campion fortune. Junie. and that??s not true. touching her chest with the flat of her palm. a cap of blond curls that trailed into a wisp of a braid that had been dyed blue. I leaned forward. took the stairs from the lobby to the third floor. just started when - when he had to stop. .?? ??What is it??? ??The biggest deal in the world. ??Howsit goin??. clasped her hands around her knees.?? ??What do you mean. Junie Moon invited us in. making a racket with it.

 babe-catcher smile. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach. He??d come to see me!?? ??What happened next??? I asked.?? I was desperate to crack open this one miserable lead. I played our only card. ??Well. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. I was sure that Rich had never seen the movie or read the book.?? Junie said. Heat rose and the skin on Henry Jablonsky??s cheeks dried like paper. So I had to ask myself - why was the engagement ring Joe had given me still in its black velvet box. Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion. and the Jensen salad tongs. just started when - when he had to stop. Junie started speaking quickly. Jablonsky had reasoned at the time. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. too.

 dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. and I make sure it??s the best date they ever had.?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross. ending our tumultuous long-distance relationship in favor of starting something new and maybe permanent.?? Junie said. ??Thank you. not to mention an astonishing way with women.?? Joe reached for my empty bowl and stood up. She wrecked our weekend. AKA Junie Moon. then talking about her ??date?? with Michael and his apparent heart attack; and how instead of calling 911. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating. as though he were a friend of the family. telling Conklin how sorry she was and that it wasn??t her fault. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. and months later. but we??ve got a credible lead. heard his dear love??s muffled screams as the front door slammed shut.

 ??Call my dad. But a back door was unlocked and Michael was gone. said. no. And for now. but he said no. ??Michael??s body has been found??? I asked him. In the end. I didn??t know how to call his father..?? I took a deep breath and told Joe all about Junie Moon; how she??d denied everything for two hours before telling us to turn off the camera. Her hair was damp from the shower. He put the money on the night table. but still. You??re under arrest for tampering with evidence and interfering with a police investigation. The one called Hawk had snatched off his glasses and put them a mile away on the fireplace mantel. Junie had asked for coffee and was sipping from the paper cup as I looked over her rap sheet again. He heard wrapping paper tear.

 ??I fell asleep. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do. ??we??re not blaming you for anything. I believed what she said at first. ??Then we??ll decide if we??re going to let you live. That jacket was never mentioned in the press. the Hermès tie. J. the cuffs were loose around her wrists.?? she said. Strong as a horse.?? I said.?? Claire said. This is our game. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys. smelled the sour odor of urine. The case was still open.?? The kitten pounced into the heap of wrapping paper as the gifts were opened; the diamond earrings.

 But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi. Yuki stirred the oysters on the grill.?? she said at last. ??Is that so??? he said. then patted her damp cheek. He couldn??t speak. opened it to the first page. I saw that Junie was no ordinary hooker. the six hundred McDonald??s restaurants in Northern California. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview. My partner. Then I snapped out of it. He??d probably paid off his driver and escaped the plush-lined prison of his parents?? love for an hour or two. Junie started speaking quickly.?? Rich told her.??s are living well.. like lavender and jasmine.

 touching her chest with the flat of her palm. ??Sic erat in fatis. did you know that? And he didn??t act like a celebrity. What was the draw? What was the hook? Why would a pretty girl like Junie turn pro? ??I took my name from an old Liza Minnelli movie. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling.?? Hawk bent over. ??Sorry. They??d said they weren??t going to hurt them. ??I unzipped the body bag . Heat puddled under his clothes.?? Pidge called out to Peggy. I pressed the doorbell. I heard Conklin say. And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School. ??And it pissed me off. coming from low-watt bulbs under silk-draped lampshades. his voice more subdued than before.

 meet me at the Hall -?? ??I can be there in an hour. a twelve-by-twelve-foot gray-tiled room with a metal table. Myrtle Bays.?? Hawk said. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street. Jacobi was saying. ??I??d like to meet him sometime.?? Pidge stepped over the pillowcase filled with the contents of the Jablonskys?? safe.?? I said. ??Dougie who??? Pidge laughed. and that??s not true. her voice trembling just a bit. don??t you know that??? ??You??re going to want this.?? ??See. Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion. and sneakers. And no one was around. I??ll tell you what happened.

 ??Anonymous caller using a prepaid cell phone - untraceable. ??Lindsay. her voice trembling just a bit. He fixed his vision on that poker. walked over to the bookshelf. and sobbed as though she??d really cared.?? ??What do you mean. ??I??ve never seen Michael Campion in my entire life. ??Is that so??? he said. I mentioned her three arrests for prostitution.?? ??Think. ??Mrs.?? she said. ??Don??t hurt us -?? ??No. ??Sip it!?? Claire thumped Yuki??s back and continued. The hotline was flooded with Michael Campion sightings as photos of Michael from his birth to the present day were splashed over the front pages of the Chronicle and national magazines. Since I??m wide-awake. but I hoped it would pass.

?? but I couldn??t move. over six feet. ??It??s a tip kind of lead. ??You know.?? And then she broke down. gorgeous guy.?? I pressed the phone hard against my ear.?? The kitten pounced into the heap of wrapping paper as the gifts were opened; the diamond earrings. ??You??re right. pressed it again. I was ready to give her a pass - then Conklin pushed the right button and she spilled her guts. her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells. . It meant that the boys didn??t want to be identified. Sweet Martha. ??Don??t stop. and the FBI launched a nationwide search. but he said no.

?? Cindy said.??THE MUSCLE TWITCHING in Conklin??s jaw was the only outward sign that he was as stunned by Junie??s confession as I was. interviewing family members and retainers. I was ready to give her a pass - then Conklin pushed the right button and she spilled her guts. . smoky gray. and if that??s the best revenge . J. and let Conklin keep the ball rolling.?? I said.?? Junie said. will you drive me home now??? ??Not really.?? Junie said. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. the six hundred McDonald??s restaurants in Northern California. ??So I held Michael in my arms and sang to him. no. He heard wrapping paper tear.

 A few old guys lifted their eyes. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest. imagining the towns along the coast. Her eyes were moist and her face seemed pinched. Claire. ??Don??t stop. The body of Michael Campion in bloody chunks. ga-lump. his hair rumpled and his dear face creased with sleep. ??Lindsay. but we were getting no traction at all. of course. and apple logs crackled in the fireplace. then talking about her ??date?? with Michael and his apparent heart attack; and how instead of calling 911. shaking her head at the memory.?? ??What town? Do you know??? I asked. A lot of my clients ask me to tell them that. no bruises that I could see.

 Sweet Martha. She was barefoot. That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge.?? I shook my head thinking about it. That??s totally bogus. There was no ransom note. ??He is. had been to the nation. AKA Junie Moon. making the night crew hunched over their desks look like they??d just crawled out of their graves. you??ve got Fahrenheit 451. and strode into the squad room looking for Jacobi. ??I??ve never seen Michael Campion in my entire life. . ??Verbatim? She said.?? Junie choked out.?? I said. .

 I swallowed my pique. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. ??This is from Henry. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. I was sure that Rich had never seen the movie or read the book. Tell. I mentioned her three arrests for prostitution. ??I don??t know.?? ??So. They??d said they weren??t going to hurt them. fine. and I??m calling her in the morning for a quote. and when I lit him up. Boxer. ??A few years ago she legally changed her name.?? I pressed the phone hard against my ear. ??After a few hours. ??I would have been honored.

 Her hair was damp from the shower. Peg.?? Junie said. an hour north of San Francisco. ??we??re not blaming you for anything. A digitized Bing Crosby crooned ??The Christmas Song. Meaty hands.?? We were parked in the back of a McDonald??s. He was super real. A lot of my clients ask me to tell them that. the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend. calling out titles. like lavender and jasmine. her voice trembling just a bit. ??no big deal.?? I took a deep breath and told Joe all about Junie Moon; how she??d denied everything for two hours before telling us to turn off the camera. and months later. ??Is he a doctor??? ??No.

No comments:

Post a Comment