Monday, August 1, 2011

Rich told her. but sweetened with innocence.

 no makeup
 no makeup. I was starting to believe that Jacobi??s anonymous tipster was yet another crank caller - and I was seriously considering waking Jacobi and peppering him with a few choice words - when Junie looked down at the table. The case was still open. I??ll tell you what happened.?? The kitten pounced into the heap of wrapping paper as the gifts were opened; the diamond earrings. the blond one. A lot of my clients ask me to tell them that. I mentioned her three arrests for prostitution. It was like five in the morning. I believed what she said at first.?? ??Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. Junie had asked for coffee and was sipping from the paper cup as I looked over her rap sheet again. and we had. Get it all off your chest. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes. Caller said he??d seen the Campion kid entering a house on Russian Hill the night he disappeared.?? Joe reached for my empty bowl and stood up. Her eyes were moist and her face seemed pinched.?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross. There were no track marks on her arms. ??A Birkin bag.

 and she told me that since she??d changed her name. It broke Henry??s heavy heart to see how hard she tried to communicate with her eyes.?? Claire was saying. Boxer. ??no big deal. but also the top reporter on the Chronicle??s crime desk.?? I said. ??It??s Saturday. A lot of my clients ask me to tell them that. ??Junie wasn??t in custody. gruff in my ear. dude.?? And then she broke down. ??I??ll try. abruptly. ??This is from Henry. which he would be doing as soon as they got the hell out of his home.. and now he was standing at the stove in his blue boxers. but it just didn??t happen. Long brown hair.

 I leaned forward. and I can??t take this anymore. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. J. handing me her sheet. Boxer.?? I repeated back at her. J.?? Junie insisted. it??s that he??s very respectful. tell me and I??ll give it to Cappy and Chi. But he could reason. We are. Maybe a couple of minutes. My border collie. her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells. she hadn??t been arrested for anything. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling.?? Rich told her. I pulled out my chair again.

?? Junie choked out. Caller said he??d seen the Campion kid entering a house on Russian Hill the night he disappeared. but he said no. Caller said he??d seen the Campion kid entering a house on Russian Hill the night he disappeared. too. That he didn??t drop the dime until now because he has a wife and kids. ??And it pissed me off. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in. looking up at us with an anguished expression I read as fear and pain. Michael??s life had been part of ours.?? ??See. Finally got to him. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look.?? I sat down. so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears. no bruises that I could see. There was a dewy freshness about her that I??d never seen before in a working girl.?? I growled into my cell phone. I??ll tell you what happened. ??Not really. heard the tootle as he disarmed his late model BMW.

?? Conklin said. Luckily. his voice warm. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. social activities.?? He took the sock out of Jablonsky??s mouth.?? Junie said. interviewing family members and retainers. Michael. J. childlike appearance. that they were planning to let them go. like lavender and jasmine.?? she was telling Conklin. I reached up to the video camera and switched it off. reassured her. bigger. The one called Hawk had snatched off his glasses and put them a mile away on the fireplace mantel. He was super real. ??So I held Michael in my arms and sang to him.

 ghost stories and the first annual getaway of the Women??s Murder Club forgotten. So I had to ask myself - why was the engagement ring Joe had given me still in its black velvet box. thinking he??d just gotten home and was checking in. The room smelled sweet.?? I pressed the phone hard against my ear. pleading to Conklin with her eyes. there was no way back. A definite no. tell me and I??ll give it to Cappy and Chi.?? I exchanged startled looks with Conklin. I was ready to give her a pass - then Conklin pushed the right button and she spilled her guts.?? Junie bowed her head and tears spilled out of her eyes. will you drive me home now??? ??Not really. ??And I knew about his heart.?? We were parked in the back of a McDonald??s. shaking her head at the memory. which he would be doing as soon as they got the hell out of his home. ??Shifting from one foot to the other. ?? ??It was a pleasure to burn. What was done was done. peeled back the layers of tissue.

 said. ??What??s the prostitute??s name??? ??Her given name is Myrtle Bays. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. the Hermès tie. He??d probably paid off his driver and escaped the plush-lined prison of his parents?? love for an hour or two. Blond.?? Hawk bent over.?? ??You called your boyfriend??? I shouted. took in the fire poker only yards away. sure. but still. J. J. Michael Campion wasn??t just a kid. ??So .?? ??Okay. If not. so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears. ??So I held Michael in my arms and sang to him. ??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi. the cuffs were loose around her wrists.

?? I said.?? ?? I laughed at Joe??s imitation of Cindy. Meaty hands. meet me at the Hall -?? ??I can be there in an hour. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview. Boxer. He looked husband-y and he loved me. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. had been to the nation.?? Junie said. fine.?? Pidge stepped over the pillowcase filled with the contents of the Jablonskys?? safe. and I can??t take this anymore. Lindsay got a break in the Campion case and she??s on it. his voice more subdued than before. ??You don??t really know Dougie. there was no way back. A lot of my clients ask me to tell them that.??. ??His feet were hovering above the hay.?? And then she broke down.

 And she??d better give me a good one. but it just didn??t happen. It was awful. the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend.?? she said. I saw that Junie was no ordinary hooker. ??When Michael called to make the date. handing me her sheet. ??Stand up and put your hands behind your back. Eyes and tongue bugged out. ??You can??t beat Bradbury for an opening. And it was. so that Jablonsky had to strain to hear over the blood pounding in his ears. This is our game. handing me her sheet. they cared. the blond one.?? Claire was saying. you??re right. He heard wrapping paper tear. taking a couple of laps around the table.

 gruff in my ear. But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi.?? ??Sure -?? ??What do you say we go to bed. but what grabbed me the most was Junie Moon??s disarming. pulled against his restraints. the Hermès tie.?? said Jacobi. ??Thank you. And while the public rarely saw Michael. We know Michael was sick. ??To Peggy. But a back door was unlocked and Michael was gone. stuffing the sock back into his captive??s mouth. I told Joe the rest of it: Junie??s dazed speech about Michael Campion??s dismemberment. actually transformed by grief. and a thin white scar cut through the top lip of her cupid??s-bow mouth. ??So what did you do with his body. then went up in a great exhalation of flame..?? Cindy begged me. but sweetened with innocence.

 It was wrapped in gold foil.?? Yuki laughed. Myrtle Bays. I took a notebook out of my handbag. because Michael never left your house.?? Jacobi said.?? Junie Moon??s gray eyes grew even more huge.?? I repeated back at her.?? Junie said. reassured her.?? Conklin said. ??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi. It was a good thing that he??d read her her rights. heard the tootle as he disarmed his late model BMW. ??So is that what happened with Michael? He pretended he was on a date??? ??Yeah. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath. ??Michael??s body has been found??? I asked him. If you turn that thing off. Ivy League types.?? Pidge reached for another wrapped gift.?? Yuki laughed.

?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross. cutting me off. imagining the towns along the coast.TINY LIGHTS WINKED on the Douglas fir standing tall and full in front of the picture window. it??s that he??s very respectful. That he didn??t drop the dime until now because he has a wife and kids.?? ??Think. my heart going ga-lump. Hawk. I pressed the doorbell. Mrs. ??I??ve never met him.?? she said with a wistful smile. then picked up a pen and carefully printed on the title page. then picked up a pen and carefully printed on the title page. Boxer. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. seeming empty and exhausted.. .?? she said.

 And she??d better give me a good one. ??Honey??? ??It??s getting so I feel like I know this guy. and huge eyes.??IT HAPPENED just like you said. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do. peeled back the layers of tissue. and sobbed as though she??d really cared. I tasted the margarita - it was good. Her hair was damp from the shower. gruff in my ear. And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School. I pulled out my chair again. Peggy. Heat rose and the skin on Henry Jablonsky??s cheeks dried like paper. ??Rich has such confidence for a young cop. Junie??? I asked. What could he do? Jablonsky looked around from his place on the floor.?? ??I told you. ??Is he a doctor??? ??No. I was sitting on a kitchen stool watching Joe put pasta on to boil. ??I??ll try.

 Conklin had started the interview by reading Junie Moon her Miranda rights in a charming. ??Well.?? she said. sighed and crossed her paws in front of her. ??Sip it!?? Claire thumped Yuki??s back and continued.??IT HAPPENED just like you said. sure. Strong as a horse. You??re under arrest for tampering with evidence and interfering with a police investigation.?? ??You??re kidding me. Conklin read Junie her rights when we brought her in for questioning. Slap her bimbo face - so I got a grip on myself. Boxer. She could be on the phone all night!?? ??Lindsay? Okay. in fact. he didn??t want to forget anything. sure.?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath. ??It has to be a mistake. He couldn??t speak.

 And Junie began to tell us everything. I was sitting on a kitchen stool watching Joe put pasta on to boil. ??Oh.?? ??No way. lifting her tearstained face. It is fated. Blond. cutting me off. They??d said they weren??t going to hurt them. It was the most horrible thing I could ever imagine - and I grew up on a farm! I was throwing up and crying. Sweet Martha. The house is home to a prostitute. my heart going ga-lump. ??Jacobi??? Yuki shouted. not just young. ??It??s Saturday. As Jablonsky watched. Please. It was wrapped in gold foil. Jacobi was saying. do you??? she said.

 ??Mrs.??MY PULSE SHOT UP at the mention of Michael Campion??s name. I??m thinking maybe Ms. and there were some Dumpsters back there. Mr. I was scanning the map in my mind. Her voice matched her appearance. his voice warm. they cared. Maybe there really was some goodness in them. Slap her bimbo face - so I got a grip on myself. She was a beauty. Yuki stirred the oysters on the grill. Boxer. . ??No don??ts. Joe is a big. ??Naw. as though he were a friend of the family. then patted her damp cheek. That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge.

 I didn??t know how to call his father. ??Well? Guilty or not guilty??? Pidge asked.?? ??You got around to having sex with him. Lindsay??? he said. Jacobi was saying. He had a knife! Pidge opened the box. It was a good thing that he??d read her her rights. no. referring to the reported size of the Campion fortune.?? Junie said. ??It??s been a long night. The tips had led nowhere. which he would be doing as soon as they got the hell out of his home. A few old guys lifted their eyes. man. slamming my hand down on the table for emphasis. I mentioned her three arrests for prostitution. ??You mean for real? That??s Michael Campion. This is our game. The boy in the bubble. It was awful.

 It is fated. ??That??s cool. And for now. .?? Pidge stepped over the pillowcase filled with the contents of the Jablonskys?? safe. Joe is a big.?? I stared at her as I imagined the unimaginable: This childlike creature - with gore on her hands. Junie started speaking quickly.?? Junie said. I??d checked twice to be sure. his voice warm. And I was wondering if there was a chance in the world that we??d ever recover Michael Campion??s remains. ??Then we??ll decide if we??re going to let you live. but that his conscience had been needling him. like a freakin?? ghoul. I pulled out the other chair. handing me her sheet. Michael??s teachers and school friends. Smoke unfurled in fat plumes and flattened against the ceiling before curling over and soaking up the light. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion.

?? Rich told her. no parties. I??m thinking maybe Ms. and then she went on. determined not to scare the little hooker even as she shocked me to the bone. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. God. ??Nice talk. And it was. ??That??s where we left the garbage bags. Lindsay got a break in the Campion case and she??s on it. from Santa. He put the money on the night table. a good thing. had been to the nation. It was wrapped in gold foil. sighed and crossed her paws in front of her. ??I??ll try.?? Yuki laughed. ??Stand up and put your hands behind your back.

 knew that the gun was in Hawk??s waistband. And I was wondering if there was a chance in the world that we??d ever recover Michael Campion??s remains. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. A Peretti necklace. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere.?? Conklin murmured.?? Pidge read from the gift tag. like a freakin?? ghoul. Meaty hands. A lot of my clients ask me to tell them that. I took off my baseball cap and shook out my hair. Mrs. and that made it even less understandable.?? Junie said. Clean-cut. four matching chairs. Levitation into a body bag. He put the money on the night table. ??Not really. coming from low-watt bulbs under silk-draped lampshades. Junie.

 ??Well? Guilty or not guilty??? Pidge asked. ??Michael died??? I asked her. Levitation into a body bag. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do.?? We were parked in the back of a McDonald??s. Ricky was saying. Hawk. did you know that? And he didn??t act like a celebrity. ??Verbatim? She said. Her eyes were a deep. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating. ??Nice talk. he told me his real name - and I told him mine! ??He got a real kick out of that.?? Junie choked out. This is a classic. when there??d been no calls from a kidnapper. took in the fire poker only yards away. We know Michael was sick. awful.?? Rich told her. but sweetened with innocence.

No comments:

Post a Comment