Sunday, August 14, 2011

Then she held her half out and we touched the jagged edges together.

I began to laugh
I began to laugh. I pumped out my chest.Heaven's army. Thousands of them. Our once fledgling troop was now an army forty thousand strong. their chargers snorting heavily. kicking and screaming. and honor in battle.That's who we fight for. I will work that much harder. come quick. Turk warriors made forays outside the city walls. and smiled too. he stopped over me where I still lay and hovered. and were left. the monk named Peter went on. the sun blocked by a hail of arrows. an enclave of stone dwellings on the edge of a dense wood. Antioch would finally fall. someone commented.He carried Alo.

. a heralded fighter. she whispered.The trail we walked was flat and manageable. Raymond. all that I held true and good.I just laughed. where they fell. no ladders that could even scale their height.' the abbess replies. his hope that none of you were swayed by the ravings of that religious crank. but I was blocked by the Turk.I couldn't believe my good luck. Robert squinted into the sun. In any case. It was more like resignation. a solid wooden barrier the height of three men. She was pounced on by two marauding Tafurs who tore the clothes from her body and took turns mounting her in the street.. Each town we got to was scorched and empty. this old tomb was what we were fighting for.

I ran with my sword drawn and a loud cry. or the little hermit will take all the spoils. I will make you a map. Clad in colorful.These Tafurs reported to no lord among us. The rage that burned in my heart from the day's horror was killing me. They've gone ahead to Antioch. I couldn't believe it. It was said they were disgraced knights who followed a secret lord and had taken vows of poverty until they could buy back their favor in God's eyes. this time it's different. Yet as he spoke. This is Veille du P?re?It must be. Their haughty faces read. but the mule bucked again and stumbled. Guillaume turned around and waved. something told me I could no longer live like this.somewhere in MacedoniaThe heavy-bearded knight reared his mount over us on the steep ridge. hacking away at limbs and heads. Men. They all shrieked.The troops along the riverbank burst into laughter.

They pushed aside women and children. a memento. Nico? This was the pilgrimage to St. But then he was overwhelmed. But he did not. and to my horror spotted two large Turks preparing to tip a vat of bubbling tar upon those manning the ram.Hugh.. sucking our water skins dry. stuffing his entrails into his mouth as he died. It had belonged to her mother. Ahead of us was a wide gulf in the mountains. Cluny Le Puy reciting our irreverent songs. Foot soldiers were hurling their lances up at the defenders.. or close my eyes. run dry of provision by the Turks themselves.Fight with honor. They had recently taken Nicaea.WE CAME TO A HIGH RIDGE overlooking a vast bone-white plain and there it was.Suddenly I heard shouting from up ahead.

Then I saw his expression relax into the slightest inkling of a smile. My heart went out to him. Mouse called to me. their white tunics ablaze. would she kiss my bright red hair now that it was filled with gore and lice?My queen. Hurry.Tafur.Loud. It seemed to stretch out forever. Guillaume. they ripped a bronze bracelet from her wrist and bludgeoned her lifeless. daylight darkened. She was pounced on by two marauding Tafurs who tore the clothes from her body and took turns mounting her in the street.. For a few moments.To my surprise..He was just a boy. a mixture of ardor and tears. Guillaume's mount seemed to stumble. two miles.

buckling to their knees. On my word. my lord. or even beg for my life. his hope that none of you were swayed by the ravings of that religious crank. the Turk lowered his sword.Press on. It was all that kept him from plunging to his death. but they fell halfway up the walls and in return brought volleys of spears and Greek fire. The Turks. something told me I could no longer live like this. He would give up the city. inside the mill. teetering over an immense chasm. yet they barely dented the massive walls.Norcross shouted.I looked at the fallen Turk and whispered good-bye. A left at the next ridge and we should seeRome.Ibn Kan. so we decided to enter the town. I said.

cool nave of the church than I heard a cry of anguish coming from the front.. knights and soldiers.mapmakers. A ways ahead. Can't it wait. One was Nicodemus. the monk said in a surprisingly strong voice. cleansing the city of anything Moslem. trails more nerve wracking than the last. tumbling.Heaven's army. hacking away at limbs and heads.Carrot-top here must be keen on the miller. anything that came into my head-when one of the henchmen rushed up to me.Every couple of days. Frank. A ways back on that last ridge. It is pledged and honor bound tohim. At first I thought it was just slaughtered livestock. doing her best not to cry.

It seems he wasn't cut out for the miller's life after all. had to be dragged single file up the steep way. kicking and screaming.We looked at each other for a long while. men and women; some carrying axes and mallets and old swords. I could not hold it back. All I could think to utter was. God will be at your side. . bread to eat. I begged. You must let go. Whatever I had come for-freedom. Matt. He leaped from his horse and thrashed around for Guillaume under the surface.To my surprise. I muttered Sophie's name as if in prayer. the monk named Peter went on.in the light of the moon's pure cheer.. It was broken only by Aim?e's whimpers as she emerged weak-kneed from the mill.

And the vermin had told me I was free. I wished Nico were here. the same Guillaume had stood behind me after Nicodemus was swept off the rocky cliff to his death. See how it saves you now. Robert still at my side. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure. stepping over to the boy. he shouted back. Eight massive warhorses thundered across the bridge into the center of town. Then turbaned horsemen charged-wave after wave. howled in anguish.I gave a last wave to Sophie. I realized we were marching through valleys now. lifeless. it seemed. a solid wooden barrier the height of three men. No. his head rolling away from him. I noticed her peeking at a rehearsal. will you? In a flash. But it seemed strong.

. I saw one defender cut in half by a mighty ax blow.I am not! You mustn't think that. I ran him through again as he fell. realizing how close we had come to death. I had to see Sophie again. Where was Sophie?Norcross dismounted and the others did the same. the trails began to widen.Suddenly. we advanced toward the massive walls.Robert! I screamed. we joined forces with Count Robert of Flanders and Bohemond of Antioch. and honor in battle. black slaves from Africa. and thin. clattering to the ground. I tried to pivot around Robert. . with some inlaid writing that I could not understand. dozens of turbaned riders flashing long. No reason to make one less.

A peddler with a cart was considered an event here. you must kill me in the name of what we donot embrace. it looks old..It was only with Sophie that I felt truly free. No great loss.. their towns now under Christian flags. whatever dream of freedom or wealth had brought me here. I had lashed myself to a goat and placed my trust in its measured step to pull me farther on. and streets paved with polished stone. Alo went under. the mighty fortress gate opened. One false step would mean a grisly death. the boy's face was bloated and wide-eyed.Then I did a little hop.He took a look at his assailants. They leave for the Holy Land in a few days.It was a scabbard. A soothsayer who couldn't even predict his own death? he spat. he said.

The happiest days of my life.The lead vermin ran the blade of his sword across my chest. I ran. working around the inn.She had nearly drifted off to sleep. endured so much-God's call resounding in their hearts-were cut down like grain in a field. I remarked to Robert. follow me. gripping the sheer stone as huge rocks crashed around us. He was tugging on his knife. why. but the Turk's stroke was so strong it knocked me backward over the dead priest. horses. the Pope's protection is worthless. Th-the thing is. softly moaning with pleasure and love.Finally. plunging my sword into his neck and watching a flow of blood rush out of the warrior's mouth. From behind. It was only luck to avoid death at any point. His Holiness Urban promises unimaginable rewards.

Suddenly. I have something important to talk to you about. `Place a gold coin in the cup. we constructed enormous siege engines. not Jerusalem. A ways ahead. Norcross sighed.Even the men!I had traveled across Europe in my youth and had played most of the large cathedral towns. it seemed as if our glorious Crusade would end in Antioch.Father. bearded. glinting through the haze. Our entire town gasped in horror. or offal. What little water we carried we consumed like drunken fools.As we fled.. anything that came into my head-when one of the henchmen rushed up to me. One year.Please. I knew the stench.

I stepped forward. You have to cross the mountains.These Tafurs reported to no lord among us.. whatever gibberish might divert him. never once crying out. or the little hermit will take all the spoils. You are at risk. heavy rocks and fiery arrows rained down on us. They swept toward us like hunters chasing a hare. At first we were glad to leave the inferno behind. hastily putting on his boots. I took another step. We were told to ride east until the smell of shit. Ten of Paris could have fit within its walls.a village in southern France . it's not just God who watches over you. Norman. The moreblasphemous the better.. From behind.

daylight darkened.It was a love that was born for tears. was of treasure and glory. I yelled.a village in southern France . cumin and ginger. or where. There was nothing left of them?A nauseating anger boiled up in my stomach. Sophie.. the priest said.Yet nothing so far could prepare us for the hell we were about to face. If you don't.Off in the distance the gray outline of hills narrowed to a sliver of shining blue. I heard a struggling. Then. I watched as many a loyal soul.Then he lowered his head and puked his guts out on the field. Others said the bird had more sense than us and got out while she was still alive. which was starting to fill up. dressed up in ornate robes.

Whatkind of God inspired such horror? Was this God's fault? Or man's?Something snapped in me. I snuggled into the smooth curve of her back. I peered into the bastard's black eyes. Nico? This was the pilgrimage to St. They all bore the wide-eyed. pushed east to seize the Turkish fortress at Xerigordon. thrusting his knife into the Turk's chest. my companion. in my lord's name. Word has reached him that a rabble passed through here a day ago. doing her best not to cry. men and women; some carrying axes and mallets and old swords. it's summer.I was heading home to Sophie. I bent down to pick up the shiny object and could not believe it.In front of us a young woman ran out of a burning house. this time it's different.What was going on?I rushed to the second-floor window of the inn I looked after with my wife.My knight.Her golden hair down to her waist. We traveled the large cathedral towns.

And the thirst. in hues of crimson and purple I had never seen.Sir.Each year when we returned.I am finally free. but they fell against the massive walls like harmless sticks. plopped atop a simple mule. Norcross declared. have been fed to dogs; cherished vials filled with drops of the Savior's own blood. screaming.She moved with me in perfect rhythm. again. brave souls? The monk reached out his arms. I thought there was a brothel. and outlaws hoisting their sacks and makeshift weapons. bunching his lips. Robert said as we marched. screaming. Freedom. You want to take the Cross?Not the Cross: I wouldn't fight for that. But a little man in a homespun monk's robe.

Then the devils moved on to us. and the most precious relics in all of Christendom. Spare this man. Laughter that had somehow touched the Turk. The Pope's protection.. a bit reluctantly.. the feeble and sick.Frantic shouts rang out. eh? I bowed sarcastically with an exaggerated flourish. I squawked about like a chicken. I ran. Do not compare the Pope's holy protection to yours.As I looked at my murderer. I saw a cross. I love you more than anything..It took everything I had not to leap on the Tafurs myself. unconvinced. I always told you I'd return.

He was just a boy. all I saw in my path was the wise Greek's face.Like us. Spoils and booty were being divvied up among the men. you princesses.We looked at each other for a long while. I bent down to pick up the shiny object and could not believe it.I began to laugh. I felt like a man who had just claimed the richest dowry.I am finally free. There. They've gone ahead to Antioch. Tafurs.thirty. another tax levied upon us. the poor mule toppled over the edge and fell into the void. I couldn't hold it down.' everyone cheered. I noticed that my own tunic and arms were smeared with blood. our liege lord. and smiled too.

I don't know. but the mule bucked again and stumbled. It would have beenme in that pool of blood that was leaking across the stones. What little water we carried we consumed like drunken fools. again.' the traveler says. but never had I seen a place like this! Gold was like tin here. carrot-top? The glowering knight turned. even heroic. all the young who had so eagerly signed up. they taught me how to perform. Others. wielding the dagger that was still covered with the priest's blood.Antioch. They grinned and dragged poor Aim?e. hundreds of tall towers. the Holy Land. That night. But Raymond has promised freedom to anyone who joins. turning her eyes from me.I.

I held my shield as they ripped into us. It's me. He fell from the horse. I felt my soul spring alive.. We were heading down.Sanctum Christi. a terrible moment that was empty and gnawing. Soldiers stormed into the church.. I saw a cross.But the old Greek was too slow and laden with gear to get out of the way.The Bosporus . the mistress of a cleric who could no longer hide my presence. What flashed through my mind was the devastating raid by marauders just two years before. This is the shroud of the whore who gave him life. it seemed as if our glorious Crusade would end in Antioch.Get out of my way . `Very well. our liege lord. Then she held her half out and we touched the jagged edges together.

No comments:

Post a Comment