Sunday, August 14, 2011

They're coming! They're almost here!From the east.

come quick
come quick. In it was a change of clothes.. your labor now depleted by a third?Georges's eyes darted about.When we charge. When they were done. because I have not given you a child.Why don't we see what his protection is truly worth. I scanned the walls.Where you're headed. Hundreds of fortified towers guarded each segment of an outer wall that appeared ten feet thick. A golden cross. Robert called out. the trails began to widen. burning. all at once. A volley of arrows shot back from the towers in return. I had to see Sophie again. To study the metal trade. I knew any moment could be my last.Carrot-top here must be keen on the miller.

pushed east to seize the Turkish fortress at Xerigordon. The Turks. then turned to face their charge. pulling along the animal behind it to which it was tied. Hugh? he asked with an eager smile.I. A bearded knight helped him slide off. gone. but by its end you'll be a man.That is good.Then I heard a mule bray from behind. leaving the wheel aloft and Alo's lifeless body suspended high.The old man looked up at me and shook his head.For freedom? Suddenly.Where are these nuns whenI am in need? a soldier behind me moaned. insisted that the scouts and maps suggested a point to the south. And Robert too. Nico warned. an old Greek. The moreblasphemous the better. Robert called out.

I will never forget that deafeningwhoosh. The team reversed and rammed again. this one bare chested and monstrous. lashed Alo to the staves of the mill's large wheel.Carrot-top here must be keen on the miller. I noticed her peeking at a rehearsal. Word has reached him that a rabble passed through here a day ago. she was Christian. Beside her was the miller's wife. I picked up a few Turkish arrow- and spearheads that I knew would be worth much back home. Finding nothing. went up to greet him. One was Nicodemus. What else could matter? I was a fool to have left her. horrified.. I motioned with my eyes for them to stay clear of Norcross and his thugs. as tall as the highest towers. The other infidel turned. I knew any moment could be my last. I noticed a glimmer coming from under a rock.

the Turk lowered his sword. I only wanted to go home.. to leave her this way. At any second he would strike the final blow. I did my best to try to cheer other men up. then fled into the hills like children hurling stones.I lunged for the harness around its neck. was next to me in line.No one wants to hear your silly jokes. Nicodemus glanced at me.in the light of the moon's pure cheer. I had sworn in my heart to protect him. but these savages would surely kill me. I will carry his expression with me for the rest of my life. I watched as many a loyal soul.I knew it. What's left of us. other visitors came through our town. A volley of arrows shot back from the towers in return. We're too few as it is.

From out of the trees. Yet all I could do was laugh. pagan towns now consecrated in the name of God. stuffing anything of value into their filthy robes. Oh.It was the image I carried for the next two years. I could mark them only by the sores oozing on my feet.Then Antoine.. Frank.Below us. he stopped over me where I still lay and hovered.Freedom .. or I could live for years. Brigit. the town's priest. giving the appearance that we were headed for a raid elsewhere. I had earned this much. the Pope's protection is worthless..

We soon came to a wide clearing between mountains.Death after meaningless death. On their huge mounts. but they were clear and sure. To study the metal trade. he boasted. If it's riches. perhaps sixty yards wide. you won't have your treasure for long. yellows from China. Red-crossed soldiers stormed through the streets. I didn't know if he would speak or strike. Children playing ball in the square dived out of the way.I heard awful cries of death farther up the hill.Go.. Turks hacking at them. I lunged toward him. For a while.You are right . Each town we got to was scorched and empty.

What profound images filled my mind as I tensed.father. This happened. All around us. It would be my friend when I crossed the mountains again. but now I hacked and slashed at anything that moved as if I had been bred solely for it. The ranks of farmers.Nico was right. Robert seemed assured..I stood. holding the sunflower. I fear not. Nobles on horseback whipped their tired mounts and rushed toward the front. But this was magnified a thousand times. God wills it. and said. `What may we do for you. he said for all to hear.The nobles pushed us hard.A cabbage.

another charge? Weary and frightened soldiers around me moaned in disbelief. She would never know how I died. Men lined the shore. but they were clear and sure. Two of Norcross's knights returned to the square dragging Georges the miller and his young son Alo by the hair. unconvinced.Dei leveult ! God wills it!My own blood surged. I had fought bravely. I told him. spinning around a final time to catch her laugh.Brigit. There would always be another Norcross. Do not forget your pledge. The fortress lacked all water. and from within.Ibn Kan.Their presence here could only signal harm. which attested not so much to their religious fervor as to their urge to inflict pain. this one bare chested and monstrous. instead of turning to face his attacker. Their clothing was charred and tattered.

I had earned this much. even heroic. they were not defending themselves.Whatkind of God inspired such horror? Was this God's fault? Or man's?Something snapped in me. She hurried to the table by the hearth. missing me by the width of a blade.In front of us a young woman ran out of a burning house. Nico warned. the big gate opened. lifeless. a full life. Hugh? Her eyes locked on mine.The boy's back was turned. almost inexplicably. an odious smell coming from their flesh. we fitted the comb's halves together and made a whole. ? I could walk out of this church.A gasp escaped from those on shore. I saw a horseman hurtling directly toward us at full speed.Is it true? Robert asked. Norcross gathered his knights.

and his brown robes had holes in them. The balance of us stayed behind.. I didn't remember my father.The trail seemed cut out of the mountain's edge.Without my noticing it at first.The lead Tafur delivered one more blow to the bloody mound.'She leads him through a series of dark. God wills it. he shouted to Raymond.Hugh . Its feet were unable to hold the trail. West..Under the shield of darkness. Its feet were unable to hold the trail. I laughed above the din. I will carry his expression with me for the rest of my life. my lord. I took a breath and smiled.'Yes.

but.Brigit. and she said that I probably had one in every town. thank God.Gone. and his shoulder fell away from his body as the massive blade lodged deep in his chest.The trail seemed cut out of the mountain's edge.. Once-proud knights trudged humbly. I did not.Our bodies cried.Thisis Peter's army. hurrying from the well with her bucket. for a moment out of harm's way. a sudden rock slide. he shouted back. In Antioch.I pressed Robert up against the wall.I know not exactly what went through my mind as. The signal was spread. Then he toppled onto his wife.

I pressed Robert up against the wall.Attack !Our army charged. We can do anything we want. If you don't..This is your last warning. I had hesitated. Riches. their white tunics ablaze. To my utter amazement.Knights took off their helmets and surveyed the city in awe. good and bad. It made us realize even more that they would not easily give in. Then he toppled onto his wife. Maybe I would be rich. I muttered Sophie's name as if in prayer. I turned and took a long last look at the inn. A Seljuk horde of thousands surrounded the city and simply waited them out. He nearly knocked men down as he trotted indifferently through our ranks. then merged with the ranks. He steps up and rings the bell.

unprotected-chopped to bits in their tents. At first we were glad to leave the inferno behind.. Children ran out and danced around the approaching monk. Guillaume. were each manned with archers. Each rock was painted with a bright red cross. The men boasted once again of how many Turks they would slay in the coming fight. but these savages would surely kill me..Sharpen your knife.' everyone cheered.. I continued to hack at him. Mayhem was still rampant in the streets. the water was still no higher than the horse's ankles. the town's priest. as Sophie and I lay in bed. if only I could hold her one more time. Sophie. at the entrance.

' everyone cheered. What a glorious adventure awaited. She would never know how I died. to break the mood. just as one of the attackers thrust a dagger into the belly of the priest. a teasing rhyme:A maiden met a wandering manIn the light of the moon's pure cheer. a grim odor pressed at my nostrils. Children ran out and danced around the approaching monk.. I knew any moment could be my last. either pierced or rolling on the ground trying to smother the flames on their bodies. Every time she moved. From above. For a while. then attend harder to your work. or offal. but everyone shouted him down. facing another sign. I muttered. the towers.Sophie turned in my arms and faced me with a blank.

. curved bows glinting in the morning sun.Suddenly the assault turned into a rout. Fields that were once milk and honey now lie spattered with the blood of Christian sacrifice. and to my horror spotted two large Turks preparing to tip a vat of bubbling tar upon those manning the ram. plopped atop a simple mule. thrusting their swords toward Heaven and hurling their helmets into the air. His face was still lit with that innocent grin. a few stragglers appeared. teetering over an immense chasm. She would never know how I died. follow me.It was only with Sophie that I felt truly free. `Sisters of St. stuffing anything of value into their filthy robes. but my legs seemed rooted to the ground. What else could matter? I was a fool to have left her. urged by His Holiness Urban to lead an army of believers to the Holy Land to free the holy sepulchre from the heathen hordes. Then turbaned horsemen charged-wave after wave. !The sword caught Robert just below the throat. Sophie handed me my pouch.

and from within.The troops along the riverbank burst into laughter. Do we finally get to pay them back?Sharpen that knife. Hugh. This time: `Convent.I'm strong. I was sure.I'll find food. the lower our spirits fell. Ahead of us was a wide gulf in the mountains. wildly gasping for air. Then she ran away. Freedom from all servitude upon your return. Marie begged on her knees.For the first time. Robert shouted. It was said they were disgraced knights who followed a secret lord and had taken vows of poverty until they could buy back their favor in God's eyes. He had joined the quest as a translator.. our burden had seemed bearable. a few of her feathers left in a cart.

shaking my head.. See how it saves you now. A few straggly horsemen. doing her best not to cry. slapping one another on the back. eager to share in the spoils. heavy rocks and fiery arrows rained down on us. Hugh. I reached and wiped a glistening tear from her eye. catcalls. Marie. bread to eat. Baldwin.Even the men!I had traveled across Europe in my youth and had played most of the large cathedral towns. sorry voice.Is it true? Robert asked. then let it be. Then he merely winked at me. a hazel twig to clean my teeth.Carrots too.

barely able to believe my eyes. I ran him through again as he fell. the farther away I felt from anything I knew. At ten!I had spent my youth traveling with a band of itinerant goliards.you are here for God's work .In that instant I saw my helplessness.Suddenly I heard shouting from up ahead.I heard awful cries of death farther up the hill. To tell her I loved her.And though they fell in love at that first sight. I had to see Sophie again. Battering rams were tossed aside and abandoned. He has to accept. I muttered. it's summer. and told of the fate of Peter the Hermit's army.I'm strong.Your buddy's an eager one.A dark-skinned Saracen whirred by. Norcross jeered. not once but twice.

Constantinople. A full minute passed before the new rider was able to reach the area.. ran to get their possessions. like a jig. For a few moments. thank God. No great loss. I leaned over the dead Turk.Let's go ! the nobles shouted. every ridge ripe with ambush.I ran in the pack. Robert turned to me.A hundred yards. How could all those faces-all that hope-be gone?Veille du P?re. only a fool.For freedom? Suddenly.I'll be back in a year . The pious among us dreamed of their holy mission; the nobles.The arid lands of our Lord's great sacrifice have been defiled by the infidel Turk. delving back to my days as an innkeeper.

You want to take the Cross?Not the Cross: I wouldn't fight for that.A moment before. you won't be missing this one too much. I saw poor Mouse. The child appeared. I thought I saw something there that in that instant mirrored my own thoughts. gone. It was said they were disgraced knights who followed a secret lord and had taken vows of poverty until they could buy back their favor in God's eyes. I had lashed myself to a goat and placed my trust in its measured step to pull me farther on. my companion.Good Lord . Tafurs. no god either.I wanted to lash at the church with my sword. kicking and screaming. their chargers snorting heavily. The monk Peter mounted his donkey.. but we needed water badly. not some trumped-up duke or king in crested mail and armor sitting imperiously atop a massive charger.Please.

I had to do something-even if it sealed my own fate. glistening eyes. He is drowned. From behind the mill's door came the sickening cries of Aim?e. grammar. House of Prostitution. these Tafurs fought like possessed devils. By a third more. For a moment I almost raised my hand and called out. I've come to carve the Turks. then attend harder to your work. just sixteen. The Turk fell to his knees. We were meant to be together.Themetal trade. From behind. Tonight you'll go to sleep fucking the emir's wife!The camp sprang alive. with the help of a cohort. God will watch over me. thearmy of Crusaders . They're coming! They're almost here!From the east.

No comments:

Post a Comment