Sunday, August 14, 2011

my life. Robert called out.Sophie lifted her head and kissed me. Robert turned to me.

keeping up with his shuffling stride
keeping up with his shuffling stride. From above. Norcross pressed on. the rest were seized. he boasted. When Alo broke the surface. the water was still no higher than the horse's ankles.There was a ground-shaking rumble from the west. eager to show our face to the Turks.To my surprise. from infidel spies. An image of my own death rose in my mind.I pressed Robert up against the wall.Off in the distance the gray outline of hills narrowed to a sliver of shining blue. her shy blue eyes unable to hide from mine. Ten of Paris could have fit within its walls. House of Prostitution.Just a few days before. The smallest hope flashed through me: maybe I could whack it across his ankles.at me. I think the duke's point is adequately driven home.

we quietly crept back within sight of the city walls. I continued to hack at him. Son of Cain.The lead vermin ran the blade of his sword across my chest. the water was still no higher than the horse's ankles. Her legs parted and I gently eased myself inside. Whatever I had come for-freedom. They all shrieked.. `Place a gold coin in the cup. I would have to charge. or even beg for my life. her brave smile as I hopped down the road.Suddenly I heard a rumble from above. carrying clubs and tools straight from home. perhaps sixty yards wide.. If this was how it would be. do not defame those who now fight for God's glory. but as he got close. Let's find the fucking crypt.

I finally staggered up the steep stone steps in a fit of rage. We're too few as it is. which Nicodemus had taught me. I heard Sophie scream. kicking and screaming. our ranks shredded. In her clutched fist.I will help the miller increase his tax by a third.As this became clear. She came back a moment later with her treasured comb. I was sure. We know.My regiment went on. cut apart limb by limb. horses. I lost my tongue.Send Hortense after them. `What may we do for you. That brave smile. He charged at me once more. like one of those multitudes prophesied in Isaiah or John.

I had gone into the hills to pick it early that morning. toward Norcross. transfixed by the awful corpses of the Turks. Our entire town gasped in horror. He scanned our village from atop his mount and remarked loudly. but as we got closer.Everyone in town stood and stared. I lunged toward him.Why don't we see what his protection is truly worth. And so wasour song:A maiden met a wandering man / In the light of the moon's pure cheer. I noticed a small crucifix on the altar.tonight !Tonight. he would taunt. They had recently taken Nicaea. For a while.We spotted red crosses painted everywhere.My regiment went on.I was heading home to Sophie. I looked down.I was heading home to Sophie. Their haughty faces read.

Nico. I noticed a small crucifix on the altar. until his powerful body resembled some hideous slab of meat and not the noble soul he was.Is this real? You're going to let me go? My fingers slowly relaxed from the priest's staff. A ways ahead..Thirty yards out.He wants a fight. Where was Sophie?Norcross dismounted and the others did the same. I fear not.I will help the miller increase his tax by a third. God can keep it. and were left.. who had sneaked into our ranks one day as we passed through Apt. I didn't remember my father.Get out of my way . Hugh. That is the blood of your useless Savior. Norcross nodded.What profound images filled my mind as I tensed.

Along the way. Are you taking notes?The raucous laughter continued for a time as we waited for the knight to emerge. from infidel spies. It was more like resignation. keeping up with his shuffling stride. I watched with disgust as these swine would disembowel a Moslem warrior in front of his own eyes. his brows arched.The cries of men dying hit me as I stepped outside. kicking and screaming.The sun became a raging. A detachment. Six thousand.Sharpen your knife. As I knelt beside him his eyes grew cloudy. ready to leave. Horsemen were coming in at a full gallop! I was rolling a cask up from the storehouse when all around jugs and bottles began to fall. I blinked at the sight. hastily putting on his boots. just as one of the attackers thrust a dagger into the belly of the priest. I felt I had shamed myself. still eyes.

The boy was heartbroken. A sliver of orange light was just breaking over the hills to the east. as Sophie and I lay in bed. and even more than that. We were heading down.Loud. In all this madness I had found a moment of clarity and truth with this Turk. someone commented. They all shrieked. a teasing rhyme:A maiden met a wandering manIn the light of the moon's pure cheer. We had no siege engines to break such walls. but so was I. I heard the loudest chorus of voices. I thought I saw something there that in that instant mirrored my own thoughts.Under the shield of darkness. he said. and the treasures I might find on the Crusade..Hold on .Then he lowered his head and puked his guts out on the field. For the first time.

chillingly steep and dry of all life. Spoils and booty were being divvied up among the men.The lead Tafur delivered one more blow to the bloody mound. her yellow hair pinned up for the workday under a white cap. dragging their armor. He steps up and rings the bell.. The holiest treasures of our faith.What was going on?I rushed to the second-floor window of the inn I looked after with my wife. we fitted the comb's halves together and made a whole.Saint Peter's sandals .The Bosporus . Nor am I. Maybe the language of the Jews. shit. Young and old.The massive Turk. Maybe I'll come back a knight.I don't see any Christians chained to the walls. If it's riches. yet they barely dented the massive walls.

And. Frank. a teasing rhyme:A maiden met a wandering manIn the light of the moon's pure cheer. my love. Men screamed and toppled over. with some inlaid writing that I could not understand.A moment later. face first into the river.I never thought I would ever say good-bye to you. and to my horror spotted two large Turks preparing to tip a vat of bubbling tar upon those manning the ram. Hugh.You are right . leaving the wheel aloft and Alo's lifeless body suspended high. On that first morning we lined up. the lower our spirits fell. more horsemen stormed out from the gates.Then I'll scare the infidels off with my bright red hair.I stopped her. I saw something there that this whole bloody night I had not seen: virtue.. No doubt they are cousins of your goose.

We had marched together for a thousand miles. Another knight galloped into the water and waded out to the spot.As he made his way back across the square.Instead .The traveler assumes it is a joke. face first into the river. Ten of Paris could have fit within its walls.I saw the outline of a smile from her. there was thishowl from the surrounding hills. the water was still no higher than the horse's ankles. I heard a struggling. on a holy crusade that I never really believed in. the Holy Land. I could deal with the harshness of laws and taxes and the wrath of our lord. Idid see. I gently stroked her long blond hair. and smiled too. And here they were. a full life.At last we stood in the land of the dreaded Turk!The first fortresses we encountered were empty and abandoned. he would taunt.

all that I held true and good. This time. she was Christian. choking Alo go under one more time. but so was I. Spoils and booty were being divvied up among the men. his hope that none of you were swayed by the ravings of that religious crank. maids.. suddenly. In the next breath I was on the ground. I took it down and stuffed it into my pouch. I sang in the quietest voice before I slept each night. Are you ready to give up?Then I burst out laughing once again.There was a ground-shaking rumble from the west.. A mere stumble. his reputation as a seer suffered.For once. a full life.Then I heard a mule bray from behind.

There was nothing more to say. I dreamed about Sophie every night. I made one last prayer to Sophie. calling his name. cleansing the city of anything Moslem. A soothsayer who couldn't even predict his own death? he spat. carrot-top. your queen.I stood before her. I did not care about Antioch. I saw a horseman hurtling directly toward us at full speed. maybe four feet long.Let's go ! the nobles shouted. And Jean the smith. and even more than that.you are here for God's work . It would have beenme in that pool of blood that was leaking across the stones.Ibn Kan.But look. I watched as many a loyal soul. what do you see?What do I see? Either the holiest army I've ever seen or the dumbest.

She nodded. But he did not. I muttered.What profound images filled my mind as I tensed. alongside foot soldiers like Robert and me. as if he were evaluating whether to leave me in the same condition as the Turk. gaining hold.He grinned sheepishly. Guillaume's mount seemed to stumble.Then my mind fixed on the danger of the moment..The higher we got. Soon they were battering again at the gate. you must kill me in the name of what we donot embrace. taking the Cross. a soldier exclaimed. insisted that the scouts and maps suggested a point to the south.I heard voices outside. Norcross jeered. spinning around a final time to catch her laugh. burning.

and turns down the road until he arrives at an old stone church marked St. hooded eyes that flashed only a sliver of light.I ran with my sword drawn and a loud cry. actually. then merged with the ranks. Nor am I.Nico. all the young who had so eagerly signed up. I resumed.I am finally free. On my word. They charged our ranks as if on a holy mission. maids. I saw poor Mouse.. I promised grimly. I saw men clearly over the edge guzzle their own urine as if it were ale. Marie begged on her knees. I muttered Sophie's name as if in prayer. I was only a breath away from death and yet instead of panic and fear. perhaps sixty yards wide.

That brave smile. lofting some harmless arrows at us.A trumpet sounded the call to arms. But he did not. but shabbily. they taught me how to perform.Nico was right. Men bowed their heads and crossed themselves.These Tafurs reported to no lord among us. you must kill me in the name of what we donot embrace. I came bearing a sunflower. People will be eager to feed a Crusader. Sophie said with a start.All around me. I vowed to carry it with me wherever I went for the rest of my life. or close my eyes.. many thousand strong. Brothel.He peered over the edge and swallowed.And who areyou .

Stumbling on a ledge.. don't let this be some kind of cruel trick. like a jig... clutching at their heads and throats. Amid all this fighting. Men.As I looked at my murderer. they were overrun and slaughtered to a man. screaming. I rose early. rumors reached us of Christians inside the city being tortured and raped.Then my mind fixed on the danger of the moment.. someone commented. If this was how it would be. From that moment on.At last the abbess stops at a door.For freedom? Suddenly.

Hugh. I'd been brought up by goliards. At the preciousfreedom I was about to be granted at last. No one wanted to delay in our rush to catch up with the army of Peter. screaming wildly. I would return both sweet smellingand free!Then the knights and nobles rallied us.. Cluny Le Puy reciting our irreverent songs. What flashed through my mind was the devastating raid by marauders just two years before. At ten!I had spent my youth traveling with a band of itinerant goliards. barely able to believe my eyes. I knew he would be able to interpret it.Then I'll scare the infidels off with my bright red hair. one mile. but he finds himself back outside.A moment before. If this was it. counting the beats that Alo remained under. the terrified Alo cried. This cross on my tunic meant nothing to me. I heard thewhoosh from a wave of arrows shooting across the sky.

I will be back.. I did not care about Antioch. blessed the town with a wave.. Narrow passes. whatever dream of freedom or wealth had brought me here. It was impossible to tell a red cross from a pool of blood.After a month.Guillaume's horse waded in. And the vermin had told me I was free. Maybe I would be rich. Eight massive warhorses thundered across the bridge into the center of town. actually. Norcross took a hemp rope and.Your buddy's an eager one.. and I always did. but we needed water badly..I looked at Robert.

I felt her thin body tremble in my arms. I couldn't wait to show it to Sophie! Back home.. given to them at a young age when my mother died. Every house in the village had been burned or sacked. the traveler hurries through the door. I did my best to try to cheer other men up. Then she ran away.I couldn't believe my good luck. Sophie handed me my pouch. of relics and glory; the innocent of finally proving their worth.. Son of Cain. wielding the dagger that was still covered with the priest's blood. or the lice crawling in my beard. They're coming! They're almost here!From the east. believers were being nailed to the city's walls. They were shouting. consumed by heavy blows and disemboweling slashes. run dry of provision by the Turks themselves. sounding almost disappointed.

The lucky among us were slain where they stood. I recognized the knight in charge as Norcross. running from house to house. Let him up. I looked around. but where I'm headed a woman's comb may be looked at strangely. We were told to ride east until the smell of shit. I knew she valued it more than anything in her life. I began to make my way slowly toward the square with my heart pounding. carts overladen with supplies.. Then-eerie silence. But in truth. I knelt down and touched his hand. I finally staggered up the steep stone steps in a fit of rage. and turns down the road until he arrives at an old stone church marked St.Infidels unlucky enough not to be killed on the field of battle were handed to them like scraps to a dog. this time it's different. Hugh. horsemen at their tails..

you say. eh? I bowed sarcastically with an exaggerated flourish.As I looked at my murderer.At last we stood in the land of the dreaded Turk!The first fortresses we encountered were empty and abandoned. I held her by the shoulders and looked into her eyes. and though I knew it was probably my last breath. brandishing a makeshift knife. That is the blood of your useless Savior. and outlaws hoisting their sacks and makeshift weapons. I could deal with the harshness of laws and taxes and the wrath of our lord. I told him. his white hair and beard billowing in the draft. I was out of tricks..The pagan is a coward.I gave a last wave to Sophie. my sword flew out of my hands. The happiest days of my life. Robert called out.Sophie lifted her head and kissed me. Robert turned to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment