Wednesday, November 3, 2010

NBC Picks Up Shows From ‘Sex And The City’ Creator And Chelsea Handler

As a heterosexual male, this bit of news is not really aimed at someone like me. I realize this, and as someone who tries to be open minded about everything and give everything a shot, I’m trying to put a neutral to positive spin on this. I appreciate some media that is specifically aimed at the female demographic, but I don’t like it all. Then again, I don’t like everything that is aimed towards men, either. So I’ll try to approach this with an even eye. But I can’t. I simply can’t do it.

Nothing about this news is appealing. Chelsea Handler has a sitcom based on her autobiographical collection of essays (like Are You There Vodka? Its Me, Chelsea) picked up and Michael Patrick King, who created Sex and the City, has also had a sitcom focusing on a straight hairdresser picked up. Both landed on NBC.

Let’s take a look at where this went wrong. Handler’s show will be based on her books that detail her drunken escapades and hook ups. It will also be multi-camera. There are only two shows that are still filmed multi-camera that are even remotely close to being worthwhile (The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother). This show won’t even be close. King’s sitcom is about a hairdresser and Vulture describes it as “Shampoo-esque.” The last thing King directed was Sex and the City 2, and if he keeps up that level of sophistication, cultural awareness and sincerity then it looks like NBC has another Outsourced on their hands. Way to go NBC! You’re almost acting like Jeff Zucker hasn’t left.

No comments:

Post a Comment