Wednesday, November 10, 2010

If You Want Government to Listen, Youve Got To Make the Ask!

Author:Stephanie Vance Source:none Hits:36 UpdateTime:2008-7-10 22:43:34


One of my main messages for advocates is "make the ask." In my opinion it is almost always a waste of time to talk to an elected official without asking for something.

Believe it or not, though, people have actually had the audacity to disagree with me on this. I know, it shocked me as well :). I've listened to the critics and I'm here to say, well, they're partially right (see, I listen to other people despite what my husband says). But I still stand by my "make the ask" advice. Let me explain what I mean.

First, though, before I get too much in to it, perhaps I should explain what I mean by "make the ask." Simply put, advocates should ask for something specific as opposed to simply trying to "educate" or "inform" elected officials. Frankly, trying to educate elected officials without asking for something specific is like trying to educate a middle-schooler without telling them it will be on the test. It goes in one ear and out the other.

Those who disagree with this advice usually have something to say along the following lines: either they believe they'll "get more attention if they don't ask (since everyone else is);" they "just want to say thank you;" or they've "already asked and don't want to be a pest." These criticisms sound perfectly reasonable and in many cases are partially true. Let's examine each in more detail.

"Everyone's always asking. I'll get more attention if I don't"

Unfortunately, if you use all your time with an elected official to just say nice things, you won't get their attention over the long term - and you'll probably be ignored. I'm really sorry to have to put it that way, but it's true. Yes, it's nice for the legislator to have a meeting with someone who "isn't always asking for something." It's even nicer for the legislator to have a meeting with someone who asks "how can I help you on your issues?" -- and I'm not in anyway suggesting that these questions should not be a part of your message.

That said, "making the ask" flips that switch in an elected official's brain that says "hey, I better pay attention to what this person is saying." It achieves that goal far more effectively than a polite "I don't really need anything right now, I just thought I'd stop by." The good news is that if you're feeling non-aggressive, you can ask for something easy that, and here's the key, provides the legislator with as much benefit as it does you! Here are some examples of what I mean:

* A site visit: Ask your elected officials to visit a facility in the district, perhaps a place where they can meet with constituents and be seen in a positive light in the media. You're helping them connect with people in the community, and you've made an "ask." In this case, the ask is "will you come and visit us in the district?" One of our lobby clients used this technique to approach members of Congress who would normally be, shall we say, a little skeptical of their views. By asking for something easy, like a site visit, instead of launching immediately in to a hard policy ask, these advocates have been able to build positive relationships with their legislators that will serve them well when the hard policy issues arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment