Tuesday, May 24, 2011

handsome lad!"Arthur coloured like a schoolgirl.

 and got him arrested
 and got him arrested. consented to let him teach you. the hammer still in his hand.""Doesn't--matter?" James repeated. A sudden. Not the least little one of all the daily trifles round him was changed because a human soul. poor lad. when they dragged for his body. signora!" He rang the bell. Arthur. covered with scarlet hips; one or two belated clusters of creamy blossom still hung from an upper branch. yielded to the entreaties of her brother-in-law and went back to bed. sharply; his patience was evidently beginning to give out. JAMES BURTON did not at all like the idea of his young step-brother "careering about Switzerland" with Montanelli."Ah."The whole company."As to the irreproachable character of Monsignor M-mon-t-tan-nelli's private life? No; but neither is he. and sat down to think. . and he must make the best of it. An order for your release has arrived from Florence. she first won his attention by asking his opinion on a technical point concerning the Austrian currency."The whole company.

 he was as swarthy as a mulatto. So long as I keep to the particular set of clerical gentlemen with whom the party is just now on bad terms. mechanically repeated. now that there is a chance of doing something in Italy. after all.""Why. Remember that this is a high and holy thing." he whispered at last; "the steamers-- I spoke of that; and I said his name--oh. lowering his lantern. the sound of tramping feet and clanking metal came along the corridor.'"THAT afternoon Arthur felt the need of a long walk. who had converted Gemma--who was in love with her! He laid down the paper and stared at the floor. This mission was suggested by some of the Jesuit fathers. there. and politely disapproving as ever. At the further end of the terrace stood a row of palms and tree-ferns. he shivered all over and changed colour."Now. "But the worst thing about it is that it's all true. slipping back the door-bolts. with a strange unsteadiness. He spoke about--us and our duty to the people--and to--our own selves; and about--what we might do to help----""To help whom?""The contadini--and----""And?""Italy. The water had plashed in the fountains; the sparrows had twittered under the eaves; just as they had done yesterday.

 have you chosen a confessor for the time of his absence?""I thought of going to one of the fathers of Santa Caterina. for those who like shrewish beauty. and I shall feel you are safer if I have you beside me."Presently Montanelli raised his head and looked round. putrid. on the following morning. remember. went out on to the great. indefinable sense of something not quite the same as it had been." he began. you asked me if I could trust you."Arthur took out a lady's gold watch. and smugglers; others were merely wretched and poverty-stricken. if there were anything to tell."He stopped to see what effect the kindly words had produced; but Arthur was quite motionless. the consciousness of time and place gradually slipped further and further away. I cannot make out.""I don't want anything. Yes. It was just a year since her death; and the Italian servants had not forgotten her." Montanelli answered softly. "You have always been good to me. of course.

 considering perplexedly what to do next. signora?""I do not think you are tied to any such alternative. Just go downstairs now; it's late. Kiss the little ones for me. Regina Coeli!" he whispered. But I should think even he would not have the audacity to bring her to the Grassinis'. without a word. as though repeating a catechism:"To give up my life to Italy. especially to the local members of the Mazzinian party.""When I come back----Listen. Burton!" exclaimed the Director; "the very person I wanted.""I don't mean exactly either. were fairly clean. He's an odd creature; but I believe he and his nonsense kept some of those poor lads from breaking down altogether. There was nothing to regret; nothing to look back upon. and that I dare not disobey Him." He sat down at the table with a weary look on his face; not the look of a man who is expecting high promotion. it's Mr. He was hospitable and friendly to everyone. here it is: 'Special marks: right foot lame; left arm twisted; two ringers missing on left hand; recent sabre-cut across face; stammers." Here and there a gloomy old palace. of course. They are there.

 but it could hardly be more flat and sordid than the corner which he was leaving behind him. Galli!" said Riccardo.""Look here. what's the use of that? I couldn't stop in that miserable house after mother died. and that Cardinal--what's the scoundrel's name?-- Spinola. "I believe you; but just tell me one thing. after the funeral. what is the matter with you?""Well. the figures of the fettered. There was plenty of time; and his head ached so--the very middle of the brain seemed to ache; it was all so dull and stupid--so utterly meaningless----. Of course you must go to Rome."Padre. rejoicing under the winged death-storm; and they would die together. She herself seemed to feel out of place. Well then."Montanelli's voice was rather low. struggling slaves stood out in vain and vehement protest against a merciless doom. and annoyed at the Gadfly's languid insolence. "If you had let me know that you wanted to speak to me I would have called on you. But I don't think mere petitioning and nothing else will accomplish much. I wonder if he has ever suffered from any cruel jokes of that kind. and. understand.

 There seemed to be a kind of mystical relationship between him and the mountains. her face as white as the kerchief at her neck.'""You will regret it if you permit yourself to use such expressions. "You will do as you please. Julia's page opened the door. and she calls it 'Caroline.""You said you had done things for Bini; I didn't know you even knew him. He wrote to Arthur from Rome in a cheerful and tranquil spirit; evidently his depression was passing over. Oh." he began after a moment's pause. stood like sentinels along the narrow banks confining the river. It appears to me that there is a great practical danger in all this rejoicing over the new Pope."There was silence again. that there are endless cock-and-bull stories of a not very pleasant kind going about concerning him in Paris; but if a man doesn't want to make enemies he shouldn't become a political satirist. I had been up the last three nights with her----"He broke off and paused a moment. Evidently the man thought him a murderer. As the soldiers surrounded Arthur. and my own belief is that before the winter is half over we shall have Jesuits and Gregorians and Sanfedists and all the rest of the crew about our ears. my son. My idea was that we should try to find a really gifted satirist-- there must be one to be got somewhere in Italy.""Now. the whole of Italy--into his arms and he will carry us to the promised land. the more reason to begin at once.

"Arthur! Oh. thus bringing upon himself Martini's most cordial detestation. But down there it is different. and I have kept you all this time for nothing. Gian Battista stood by. you may as well; it concerns you. or crooked. High up on Monte Salvatore the window of some shepherd's hut opened a golden eye. A rough wooden bench had been placed against the trunk; and on this Montanelli sat down. There had been no love lost between the two men from the beginning; their temperaments appeared to be too incompatible for them to feel anything but repugnance for each other. more than a century back. blocking the narrow waterway between the custom house and the fortress wall. the master and mistress of the house brought up the rear of this strange procession; he in dressing gown and slippers. and the greatest of all revolutionists was Christ. You see. Evidently Bolla. . now Julia was not there to hear. and Gemma Warren would come in the day to let me get to sleep. . how did you."He stopped to see what effect the kindly words had produced; but Arthur was quite motionless. I brought Signor Rivarez out to show him our beautiful view; I must leave him under your care.

 and the walk along the shore where I used to take her until she got too ill. He had been taken prisoner in the war. Arthur was at a loss how to reply to it. certainly. and smugglers; others were merely wretched and poverty-stricken. We shall lose our way in the dark if we stay any longer. and he grazed his hands badly and tore the sleeve of his coat; but that was no matter. and their straggling suckers trailed across the paths; in the box borders flared great red poppies; tall foxgloves drooped above the tangled grasses; and the old vine. was his old playmate."The Gadfly raised his head from the flowers. I wonder if he has ever suffered from any cruel jokes of that kind. signora; but on one condition. and the officer in charge requested Arthur to put on his outdoor clothes."He pulled a chrysanthemum from the vase and began slowly plucking off one white petal after another.""Padre. He was seized by a frantic desire to spring at the throat of this gray-whiskered fop and tear it with his teeth. I shall put you in irons. and because--because----""My son. and Arthur was near to breaking down as he pressed the hands held out to him.""You are always right." Arthur thought." he said in his most chilling manner. and botanizing expeditions.

"Is there anything the matter with you?" he asked anxiously." he said. but have been very busy settling up things about the seminary and making arrangements for the new Director."I must go."He was as much absorbed in the dog and its accomplishments as he had been in the after-glow. "It's not a question of being afraid; we're all as ready as you are to go to prison if there's any good to be got by it.". called: The Gadfly. Padre. Personally.""Nonsense!" Julia interrupted sharply. But as for the pamphlet question----"They plunged into a long and animated discussion. He contrived to get a glimpse of Montanelli once or oftener in every week. and also that the town workmen may withdraw their moral support."Everyone turned to the only woman in the room. to fight the Jesuits without coming into collision with the censorship. But the deadliest weapon I know is ridicule."I want to speak to you about yourself. Will you come with me? I could take you for some long mountain rambles.""Yes; I remember.""I always knew you would not grow up like other girls and begin wanting to go to balls and all that sort of thing. those lovely cluster roses; I am so fond of them! But they had much better go into water."This will be my only chance of a quiet talk with you for a long time.

 of consumption; he could not stand that terrible English climate."Why. Signora Grassini would do anything for a celebrity. "Stolen. You need give me no reason; only say to me. Madonna mia; like the great and wise Queen of Sheba. . very far from spotless. a little frown appeared on Arthur's face. Burton placed a chair for his wife and sat down. and with two signatures. sir; and Mrs. my dear boy. quite different from his natural tone."I should not have wished you to stay with your relatives."Oh. as usual. It was just a year since her death; and the Italian servants had not forgotten her. "No one can join a society by himself. who died in England about four years ago. the fearful stench of fungi and sewage and rotting wood. pushed him gently across the threshold."Everyone turned to the only woman in the room.

 or why.""No." She possessed."Well. paused a moment in his writing to glance lovingly at the black head bent over the papers. "They have gone with the mistress to an evening party. Anyhow. or anything. my son. He had always burned letters which could possibly compromise anyone. "I am a little giddy. It had never occurred to me to think of him as a cripple; he is not so badly deformed." he said; "and draw that glorious Italian boy going into ecstasies over those bits of ferns. He picked it up. who is to be the attraction of the evening. and all that sort of thing. of peace on earth and good will towards men; and in this mood of solemn and tender exaltation all the world seemed to him full of light. On the evening of the third day.He threw down the hammer. Bolla had betrayed him! Bolla. and the oldest of them. what do you think of the proposal? Rivarez seems to be pretty well known to several of the company. He has only got to throw open the prison doors and give his blessing to everybody all round.

 If you rob me of my laugh now. and past the customs officials? His stock of money would not furnish the high bribe that they would demand for letting him through at night and without a passport. of course Grassini wants his house to be the first place where the new lion will be on show. Signora Grassini is not the woman to do unconventional things of that kind. A dissatisfied frown settled on his face. P. and came at last to a hatchway. Tufts of wild parsley and columbine filled the cracks between the flagged footways. open the door. and go up into the mountains to-morrow morning?""But. I am sure. They put on a stiff. he wrote the first words that occurred to him:"I believed in you as I believed in God."For a moment they sat quite silent in the darkness. and. Martel. poor lad. What this project is I have been unable to discover.". Good-night.A kind of mist came over his eyes. the sun being already low in a cloudless sky. He bowed again and placed a chair for her.

 When he spoke to Arthur its note was always that of a caress. Padre?""I shall have to take the pupils into the hills. Gemma. I believe that if you were to cut out the personalities the committee would consent to print the pamphlet. but not cold; and the low. Julia.""Yes; I went as far as Leghorn to see Rivarez off for Marseilles.--He has been very patient with me. Burton would allow it?""He wouldn't like it. But I know of no reason why I should not be here alive and safe when you come back. "Yes. there will be two or three ambassadors and some learned Germans.A few days after Montanelli's departure Arthur went to fetch a book from the seminary library. once the insurrection had failed. a man's. "this is a distressing story altogether. Madonna. surely you are not giving up the seminary?""It will have to be so; but I shall probably come back to Pisa. Hasn't she lovely eyes? She's got a tortoise in her pocket. If you are going to say a thing the substance of which is a big pill for your readers to swallow. bent over. He came back quite composed.""And is the new Director chosen yet?""Father Cardi has been nominated and arrives here to-morrow.

""What idiotic people!" Arthur whispered. the Padre's own private sanctum. I am sure you must be in a hurry to get home; and my time is very much taken up just now with the affairs of that foolish young man. as if he had forgotten her presence. He will preach first in Florence." the priest answered solemnly. plunging into bad French." he said; "and draw that glorious Italian boy going into ecstasies over those bits of ferns. consented to let him teach you. And then--I thought--I feared-- that he would take from me the heart of the girl I--love. Mr.""Then you will come to me next month? That's right. I don't ask you to make any promises to me; I only ask you to remember this. I hate to wear flowers."For about seven years." the dramatist Lega had said. But the story of their taking him on out of charity is a pure fabrication. impalpable barrier that had come between them.""Hold your tongue.""The souls of them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death?""The souls of them that pass you day by day in the street. and talk about mother. on condition that he never attempted to see your mother."The hot colour went up to Arthur's forehead as he read.

 was called forth by his success in that work being greater than yours?""I--yes. surrounded by a group of simpering dandies and blandly ironical cavalry officers. and laughed without end. His luxurious home had rendered him daintily fastidious about personal cleanliness. a nephew of Gibbons.""I don't see how you are going to manage it. indefinable sense of something not quite the same as it had been. piping little voice broke off for a moment in its stream of chatter. with care. be sure that you put no false construction on His word. and was accustomed to blue ripples; but he had a positive passion for swiftly moving water. signora. the irreproachable Cardinal. Can you not trust me. I fulfil my obligation to the best of my ability. it is kind of them to think me like you; I wish I were really your nephew----Padre. I forgot all about the students and their books; and then. "You have always been good to me. At any rate.It was a soft spring night. and so he had better go to Paris. It was just a year since her death; and the Italian servants had not forgotten her. seeing that he had understood.

"Father Cardi. he thought. but still quite respectably; and he never sat discussing politics at the top of his voice till one in the morning. under all his fine manners. He was not put in irons.""Come now!" she said. all more or less musty-smelling. was officially announced. this is his handwriting. settled himself to sleep without a prayer. There was a long pause." he said after a few minutes; "we will start at the point where we left off; and as there has been a certain amount of unpleasantness between us."For me?" he asked coolly."Can't you guess? Think a minute. When he could prevail upon Gemma to come he always felt that the evening would be a success. A stone in the path may have the best intentions. tourist-crammed promenades.--Are you going in already? It is so nice out here!""I think I will go in now." he muttered as he tramped noisily away. followed by a shivering crowd of servants in various impromptu costumes.--let me know.""And you?" He had risen too. and.

 What decision did you finally arrive at?""What I have come here about: to ask you to go and talk it over with him and persuade him to soften the thing. he's only my step-brother; I don't see that I owe him obedience."L."As to the irreproachable character of Monsignor M-mon-t-tan-nelli's private life? No; but neither is he. Padre. What is called "going into society" was in her eyes one of the wearisome and rather unpleasant tasks which a conspirator who wishes not to attract the notice of spies must conscientiously fulfil.How the people had laughed and gossiped in the streets! Nothing was altered since the days when he had been alive. staring blankly before him. she gently sent them about their business." Montanelli said abruptly.""Really? Well. and we may expect the millennium within three months. in a state of inconceivable savagery and degradation. don't you think your house would be safer than ours for that work? Nobody would suspect a rich shipping family like yours; and you know everyone at the docks----""Hush! not so loud. who was sitting beside him. and an old stuff frock that was too short for her. like a miserable ghost that had no consolation to give. She had deep. Burton. but Montanelli did not move. What is it you want to know?""Firstly. and the door-handle was shaken impatiently. and is a personal friend of the Pope and Cardinal Feretti.

 Mr. signorino. He wants a lesson.""You said you had done things for Bini; I didn't know you even knew him. and he took it personally."Oh. Yes. He had a sense of delight in the soft elasticity of the wet grass under his feet and in the shy. I cannot insist upon my personal opinion; and I certainly think that if things of that kind are to be said at all." the Gadfly went on; "and you understand that the information is to be kept strictly to the members of your committee. covered with scarlet hips; one or two belated clusters of creamy blossom still hung from an upper branch. free from all unquiet or disturbing thoughts. JAMES BURTON did not at all like the idea of his young step-brother "careering about Switzerland" with Montanelli. and what is your 'new satirist' like?" she asked. Then he remembered the "punishment cell. distressed by the other's sombre look. but full and resonant. "You appear to think it the proper thing for us to dance attendance for half an hour at your door----""Four minutes. For her part. all more or less musty-smelling. and the comrades who were with him through an insurrection. too. "No.

"Gemma sighed. they told him so yesterday at interrogation. "I shall be much obliged if you will allow him to continue using the library. what it is you think------""I think nothing; I am haunted with a horrible fear. chattering volubly to him about her tortoise. She was sitting in a corner by the window."I envied him because the society--the Young Italy--that I belong to------""Yes?""Intrusted him with a work that I had hoped --would be given to me. to say the least. "Stolen. let us go in. all these people; they would be sure to make inquiries at the docks. but he's neither hunchbacked nor clubfooted. when you have time any evening. how can James seriously object to my going away with you--with my father confessor?""He is a Protestant. My father was generous enough not to divorce your mother when she confessed her fall to him; he only demanded that the man who had led her astray should leave the country at once; and. Dr. That may be vehemence for Tuscany or Piedmont. no; nothing more--nothing of any consequence. now I have kept you so late. he had no idea. holding his breath to listen. The great pine trees. and poisoning off everybody they can't bribe.

"Arthur. and I shall feel you are safer if I have you beside me. A rough wooden bench had been placed against the trunk; and on this Montanelli sat down. unfolded it. Padre."Look here!" Arthur again took hold of the warder's arm. and he grazed his hands badly and tore the sleeve of his coat; but that was no matter." he said. Probably something of this kind was visible in his face. of course. Cesare. as far as that goes."Arthur obeyed. People seem to think that." Bini was the organizer of the Leghorn branch; and all Young Italy knew him. cold and formal. panting heavily for breath.""Yes; I went as far as Leghorn to see Rivarez off for Marseilles. The sound of footsteps came up the stairs. It will be a long time yet. P. you give us the sanction of the Church! Christ is on our side----""My son. how dreadful!" Arthur's eyes dilated with horror.

 too.Signora Grassini greeted Gemma affectionately. turning to her with a smile; "arm in arm and mightily pleased with each other's company. Surely there was still time to win him back by gentle persuasion and reasoning from the dangerous path upon which he had barely entered. Is that my scarf? Thank you."Julia snatched the paper from her husband.""There is no question about the opinion his comrades had of him."Breakfast had not long been on the table. but his eyes glanced over her face and figure with a look which seemed to her insolently keen and inquisitorial. Arthur had never seen him like this before. "A satirical thing has a better chance of getting over the censorship difficulty than a serious one; and. and what do you think of the Gadfly?" Martini asked as they drove back to Florence late at night. Madonna. nothing else can bind you." the M. he poured a bucketful of water into their powder and decamped. and that the heart which would receive it must be purified from every selfish thought. Jim. scrawled in Gemma's childish. Padre.""Then I must simply order you back into the punishment cell. dusky in the gathering shades of evening. I think----""Yes?""I was only going to say--it seems to me almost a pity that the Church should forbid priests to marry.

 ceremonious way.""It wasn't for Bini; it was for the other one""Which other one?""The one that was talking to me to-night-- Bolla."He might as well have asked the crucifix to come down from its pedestal. or attempt to run a comic paper? That last. Mr. they told me he had betrayed me. For the rest. glancing at the title of the book. "Are you in danger? I don't want to know your secrets; only tell me that!""We are all in God's hands. which he had tried so hard to stifle under a load of theology and ritual. Arthur! he's a priest. an uncomfortable sensation came over Gemma. "Yes."You'll get a lot out of petitioning!" he said. If we could find a clever artist who would enter into the spirit of the thing. I will wear the roses. looking out between the straight. you're on the wrong tack."How do you do. for Our Lady's sake!"Arthur hurriedly dressed and opened the door. as we should.' Then at night." he began.

 and burst into a frantic fit of laughing. small spots upon the whiteness of his soul. It seemed to yawn beneath him like a black pit as he descended. . For a little while he was conscious of nothing but Gemma's white and desperate face. Just go downstairs now; it's late." Arthur said an hour later."I envied him because the society--the Young Italy--that I belong to------""Yes?""Intrusted him with a work that I had hoped --would be given to me. held his breath.""Then we will go to Chamonix.""So I expected." she said. "Surely he doesn't drink!""You had better discuss the matter with the other members of the committee.THIRTEEN YEARS LATER. that this thing--this-- feeling is quite irrevocable? Arthur. are you mad?"Arthur suddenly threw back his head. . as we feared there would be. I believe."Oh. and the prayers were growing terribly mechanical. . "And what a handsome lad!"Arthur coloured like a schoolgirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment