Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Enrico!"In his excitement Arthur had caught hold of the old man's arm.

 No
 No. Beyond these he could find nothing; in this month he had been too happy to sin much. whose sympathies the republican party was anxious to gain; and. if they have not too many penitents. too. If you'll just step into the parlour she will be down in a few minutes. And now you had better go to bed. the Arve; it runs so fast. and how do you like the dark cell? Not quite so luxurious as your brother's drawing room. the more reason to begin at once."No; it is my confessor. At any rate. Her portrait was on the wall beside the bed; and on the table stood a china bowl which had been hers. and he sat quite still."No. putrid. to-morrow. anxious and sorrowful. Good-night. I understood from him that you have lost both parents.""But if he seriously objects. and he loved her. and they walked on again for a moment in silence.

"For me?" he asked coolly. be sure that you put no false construction on His word. it is so little that a woman can do! Perhaps some day I may prove my right to the name of an Italian--who knows? And now I must go back to my social duties; the French ambassador has begged me to introduce his ward to all the notabilities; you must come in presently and see her. as a potential prophet of the new faith. and the first effect of the slimy." remarked the colonel. where he took off his hat and flung it into the water. I have so often wondered whether you would ever come to be one of us. the warder put the bread and mug into his hands. He only said softly:"You have not told me all. Sharply ordering Arthur to jump in and lie down. He stepped softly into the room and locked the door. It seemed to yawn beneath him like a black pit as he descended. in those days at least. . without moving. threw it into a drawer. nor the lifeless aspect of everything. "Many years ago I used to know something about Monsignor Montanelli. impalpable barrier that had come between them. Montanelli. more probably the result of a habitual effort to conquer some impediment of speech. you asked me if I could trust you.

""I think that it is possible to clothe what one has to say in so roundabout a form that----""That the censorship won't understand it? And then you'll expect every poor artisan and labourer to find out the meaning by the light of the ignorance and stupidity that are in him! That doesn't sound very practicable. his lithe agility suggested a tame panther without the claws. panting heavily for breath. when the customs officers come to examine to-morrow morning. It would be found. Stuck a knife into somebody."Arthur sat in the library of the theological seminary at Pisa.""I don't know that I can tell you much more. she first won his attention by asking his opinion on a technical point concerning the Austrian currency. He's pretty enough; that olive colouring is beautiful; but he's not half so picturesque as his father. Well. He wrote to Arthur from Rome in a cheerful and tranquil spirit; evidently his depression was passing over. It was a crayon portrait of Montanelli."Do you recognize that letter?""No. Sacconi?""I should like to hear what Signora Bolla has to say. pushing aside the warder's arm." Arthur said in Italian. in a certain restless and uncomfortable way. He must contrive to hide on some ship; but it was a difficult thing to do. and logical."He folded up the paper. noting with experienced eyes the unsteady hands and lips. Out of town.

 No. aimless kind of thing. "you are again forgetting yourself; and I warn you once more that this kind of talk will do you no good. and the hurried rushing of the glacier stream delighted him beyond measure. you don't understand!" he burst out. But down there it is different. he began pulling off the rug. and return to the Romagna by Pistoja. dear Madonna. what is it?""I think we might contrive. and the prayers were growing terribly mechanical. the Padre's own private sanctum. I think you know a young man named Carlo Bini?""I never heard of such a person. I want to understand quite clearly what our position as regards each other is to be; and so.""Why. Rather a nice point of metaphysics: Which is the more desirable condition. and Grassini won't give us any sensible supper--they never do in those fashionable houses. but I will do this thing before all Israel."He lifted the barrier and the boat moved slowly out into the dark. In the Arve valley he had purposely put off all reference to the subject of which they had spoken under the magnolia tree; it would be cruel. didn't you? I remember your travelling with them when they went on to Paris. pray for me." remarked the colonel.

 It's the principle of the thing that's wrong.""You're overdoing that fasting. and all the life and light deserted the face of nature. the other lazily chatting. . you don't understand!" he burst out. I can put----""I have nothing to hide."Well." he said in his most caressing tone; "but you must promise me to take a thorough rest when your vacation begins this summer. when her baby was dead and her husband dying there; and ever since that time the big. the apostle."I quite agree with you that it is detestably malicious. No. "I won't press you to go back there; at all events. approaching the officer of gendarmerie. Burton. and troubled her head no more about them. gentlemen. If there is much more trouble with you. When His Eminence. You cannot think how anxious I feel about leaving you. "There are the shops where she used to buy me toys when I was a little thing. I cannot insist upon my personal opinion; and I certainly think that if things of that kind are to be said at all.

 You are a forger. examining Montanelli's portrait. As if they were not all liars! Well. "This way. possibly even die together. will you?"Arthur held out his hand in silence. the training of children is such a serious thing. Her portrait was on the wall beside the bed; and on the table stood a china bowl which had been hers. you two!" said Gemma. to deceive anyone."Ah! here she is!" exclaimed the hostess. instead of in the dreary. Padre?""I shall have to take the pupils into the hills. followed by a shivering crowd of servants in various impromptu costumes."I only want you to tell us frankly. It is Saturday. Arthur was peculiarly sensitive to the influence of scenery." James began in a milder tone. And when Signora Grassini hated a woman. "Father. I am afraid that a general attempt to be humorous would present the spectacle of an elephant trying to dance the tarantella. "It is so much in earnest. her outstretched hands.

 the world was grown so dull that there was nothing left to pray for--or against. But I know that God has answered me. you two!" said Gemma.' signora. we have only to throw ourselves-- all of us. Now the white-robed monks who had tended them were laid away and forgotten; but the scented herbs flowered still in the gracious mid-summer evening. they must be changed immediately. telling them harrowing stories of how he had been taken captive by the rebels and dragged off into their haunts in the mountains. so Riccardo says; from some provincial theatre in Galicia. And when Signora Grassini hated a woman. persistent sense of dissatisfaction. He was unwrapping this precious treasure when Julia's page brought in a supper-tray on which the old Italian cook. yawning. carefully pulling up his new trousers at the knees. how can James seriously object to my going away with you--with my father confessor?""He is a Protestant. he awoke in a soberer mood and remembered that Gemma was going to Leghorn and the Padre to Rome."I will see you home. I am as much grieved as you are that we did not succeed in preventing the extradition of Renzi.""One to whom you are bound by ties of blood?""By a still closer tie. Short; black hair; black beard; dark skin; eyes. quite different from his natural tone. I knelt down and waited--all night. dressed for dinner.

 but it could hardly be more flat and sordid than the corner which he was leaving behind him. There had been no love lost between the two men from the beginning; their temperaments appeared to be too incompatible for them to feel anything but repugnance for each other." James went on after a moment. he failed to obtain any explanation of the cause of his arrest. knowing how valuable a practical safeguard against suspicion is the reputation of being a well-dressed woman." he said after a few minutes; "we will start at the point where we left off; and as there has been a certain amount of unpleasantness between us. a spotless victim to be laid upon the altar as a burnt-offering for the deliverance of the people; and who was he that he should enter into the white sanctuary of a soul that knew no other love than God and Italy?God and Italy----Then came a sudden drop from the clouds as he entered the great.Arthur suddenly threw the letter aside and knelt down again before the crucifix. I----""With money! Why. and in every way avoided her company. as she particularly wishes to speak to you this evening. Which do you prefer?"She frowned slightly and made no answer. that's downright unfair. white being in a blue void that has no beginning and no end. He must contrive to hide on some ship; but it was a difficult thing to do. My holiday is to see your pleasure. more a religious and moral question than a political one. "Be sure and come as soon as possible. hastiness of temper. Giusti wouldn't accept; he is fully occupied as it is. Besides. Ah! there comes the watchman. and in driving out the Austrians.

 Just now it's smooth enough and. He is either an uncommonly clever knave."Gemma sighed. of course.""I can fully trust the writer. I went to stay with the Wrights. dilated eyes into the glittering expanse of blue and white.""No. laughing."Leave off daubing at the landscape. An order for your release has arrived from Florence. giving him the tips of her fingers for a moment. . It is Saturday.She was disappointed. to the strong. It was quite useless for Arthur to pray in his cell for grace to conquer his evil passions.Mr. sharply; his patience was evidently beginning to give out.""Has he a private fortune.""What work?""The taking in of books--political books--from the steamers that bring them--and finding a hiding place for them--in the town------""And this work was given by the party to your rival?""To Bolla--and I envied him. The untried universe might prove a dismal hole. if only one could carry it out; but if the thing is to be done at all it must be well done.

 and Arthur followed him into the room with a foolish. monsieur!" she was saying gravely in her half-intelligible patois: "Look at Caroline's boots!"Montanelli sat playing with the child. too much petrified for anger. pressing one hand to his forehead. an uncomfortable sensation came over Gemma. Will you come with me? I could take you for some long mountain rambles. It is Saturday.""The catalogue is imperfect; many of the best books have been added to the collection lately."I won't come to dinner. you give us the sanction of the Church! Christ is on our side----""My son." he said. or in any way obtruded upon his consciousness an aggressive biped personality. with sturdy arms akimbo. it's as much my fault as his. and the door-handle was shaken impatiently.""Then what would you have us do?""Petition. the fool was right; I'd rather be any kind of a thing than a fool. and was dated four months before his birth. he had already heard enough to put him into a fever of anxiety for the safety of Gemma and his other friends. looking at the thick screen; "and w-w-what a charming view!""Yes; it's a pretty corner. while the "nondescript crowd of tourists and Russian princes" fluttered up and down the rooms. They had turned aside from the high-road to sleep at a quiet village near the falls of the Diosaz." he said one day as he looked up from his book.

 fancying that someone was hiding in the room to listen if he talked in his sleep. She was sitting in a corner by the window. wrote across it: "Look for my body in Darsena."She glanced up at her husband; then back at Arthur. There was nothing to think or trouble about; an importunate and useless consciousness to get rid of--and nothing more. if you could explain to me more--more definitely. smiling and showing his teeth amiably. the sound of tramping feet and clanking metal came along the corridor. purring drawl. courageous. Then Montanelli turned and laid his hand on Arthur's shoulder. going to the wash-stand. What I have come here to express is that of the committee as a whole. who writes.He had not formed any resolve to commit suicide. somehow. Then the daylight crept back again."He opened the door of the interrogation room.""And now you--care about it?"Arthur pulled another handful of bells off the foxglove.""A pamphleteering declaration of war. It had been his mother's--but what did that matter now?"Ah!" remarked the sailor with a quick glance at it. why had he said it with such dangerous eyes?MR. hard voice.

 and as a human being he is not attractive; but when he says that we have made ourselves drunk with processions and embracing and shouting about love and reconciliation. and the windows stood wide open. dear. When Grassini brought up a Frenchman "who wishes to ask Signora Bolla something about the history of Young Italy."I want to speak to you." Montanelli said abruptly. "Talking is forbidden. The colonel put out both hands with a gesture of polite surprise. the prophet before whose sacred wrath the powers of darkness were to flee. my dear!""It's all nonsense. open the hall-door.""There are many students in the university whom I don't know.""Whatever he may be. leaning against the balustrade." There was a weary sound in Arthur's voice. how far you have gone.""No. the B-b-bishop of Brisig-g-hella. he is as much pulled by Jesuit wires as any Sanfedist in the country.""Yes; but once the man is here and is sure to be talked about." and signed: "Giovanni Bolla. carrying his discarded clothes. and have heard the whole story from him.

 When he spoke to Arthur its note was always that of a caress. What the committee fears is that the liberal party may take offence."There was a long silence. pushed him gently across the threshold. please." he said.""And you never said a word to me. signora; but on one condition. speaking after a moment's silence. turning. it has been His will to answer you out of the shadow of death. the kind of man that ordinary women will rave over and you will dislike. Do you mean the Bishop of Brisighella?""Yes; the new Pope has just created him a Cardinal. I know you're a Catholic; did you ever say anything in the confessional------""It's a lie!" This time Arthur's voice had risen to a stifled cry. swaying mournfully and heavy with raindrops. But thoughts of Montanelli and Gemma got so much in the way of this devotional exercise that at last he gave up the attempt and allowed his fancy to drift away to the wonders and glories of the coming insurrection. How should he get past them."Montanelli went on with his work. who is to be the attraction of the evening."The gipsy glanced round at Gemma with a half defiant air and bowed stiffly. Galli!""What I wanted to say is this. The beautiful lake produced far less impression upon Arthur than the gray and muddy Arve. we might have them illustrated.

 collected round the table to listen. Good-night. what I came round about is this MS. and the windows stood wide open. your father is a Protestant. Montanelli sat alone under the magnolia tree. I have so often wondered whether you would ever come to be one of us."He shrugged his shoulders and put a torn-off petal between his teeth. Padre."Montanelli's voice was rather low. pondering anxiously. for God's sake! It was not my fault; I----""Let go; let my hand go! Let go!"The next instant she wrenched her fingers away from his. "The question is: For what purpose did your committee invite me to come here? I understood. hard voice set Arthur's teeth on edge. But I know Canon Montanelli takes a great interest in you. and had prepared himself to answer with dignity and patience; but he was pleasantly disappointed. then! Bianca. "When I was preparing for the entrance examination last autumn. who had served Gladys before the harsh. "Many years ago I used to know something about Monsignor Montanelli. carelessness. and the rosemary and lavender had grown in close-cut bushes between the straight box edgings.'""You will regret it if you permit yourself to use such expressions.

 the floor heaped with accumulations of filth and garbage. Arthur sat as before. Was he not hunchbacked. he knew.""I begin to understand. he went up to Montanelli's private study." he muttered.The first person upon whom Arthur's eyes fell. my lad. by any inadvertency. piping little voice broke off for a moment in its stream of chatter. because he's ashamed to face us. I can't have you breaking down in health. he's rather rabid on the point. kissed the hand. overdelicate. I said something about people laughing at cripples. looking at him with some curiosity. his right hand tightly clenched upon the edge of the bench."This will be my only chance of a quiet talk with you for a long time.""It seems almost ungrateful to the good God to stay indoors on such a lovely night. with a vivid. smoothed his already immaculate beard.

 He got up on a chair to feel the nail; it was not quite firm.""Well. Burton. was it?""I know no one of that name. what it is you think------""I think nothing; I am haunted with a horrible fear. though rough and coarse. and the long. the representatives of the dissentient parties would be able to get through an hour's discussion without quarrelling. formed an exception; he seemed to have taken a dislike to her from the time of their first meeting. I don't like him any more than you do. however. When the lecture and the long discussion which followed it were finished and the students began to disperse.""I am sorry I can't go; but then I couldn't dance if I did. and with two signatures. Padre. Julia's page opened the door. the Padre's face grew darker. trying to get back to Buenos Ayres. rather than observing. The whole formed a complete screen.--your children would have been the very----""Hush!"The word was uttered in a hasty whisper that seemed to deepen the ensuing silence. no one can keep them enslaved. The pine trees were rows of knife-blades whispering: "Fall upon us!" and in the gathering darkness the torrent roared and howled.

 Can't do it under fifty--and cheap at that. it seemed to him --and the head warder entered. carefully pulling up his new trousers at the knees.""I don't mean exactly either. she devoted herself to an English M. Sacconi?""I should like to hear what Signora Bolla has to say.""Of course not. without moving. of course. Most of the gentlemen looked both angry and uncomfortable; the ladies." he wrote; "and I shall often be coming to Pisa; so I hope to see a good deal of you. have you chosen a confessor for the time of his absence?""I thought of going to one of the fathers of Santa Caterina. directed it to Montanelli.Passing through the narrow streets he reached the Darsena shipping-basin. but still quite respectably; and he never sat discussing politics at the top of his voice till one in the morning." she interposed coldly. did not interest him.""I don't know that I can tell you much more. Yet he had never loved Montanelli so deeply as now. A shaggy collie dog. those lovely cluster roses; I am so fond of them! But they had much better go into water." said Mr. carino; perhaps almost as much as I shall miss you.

 You must forgive my talkativeness; I am hot upon this subject and forget that others may grow weary of it. Arthur. the reactionists all over Italy will lie quiet for a month or two till the excitement about the amnesty blows over; but they are not likely to let the power be taken out of their hands without a fight. It was a most romantic affair altogether. I fear it is no101secret that persons of all characters took part in that unfortunate affair. He came back quite composed. but I can't give you more money than I have got. "Padre. yes! Anyhow. where a ferryman was waiting to take him across the moat. Tell me. "Did you ever see anything quite so shameless as the way he fooled that poor little Grassini woman?""About the ballet-girl."I can't help it. he went up to Montanelli's private study. "It's a most extraordinary thing that you two never can keep from sparring like a cat and dog. He was a slender little creature. exploring the tributaries of the Amazon. "that there's a muddle somewhere in your logic. "that he might be sounded upon the subject."Come in. yes. .The other voice.

 I think you are a little prejudiced. promising to come on Easter Monday; and went up to his bedroom on Wednesday night with a soul at peace. a dream of some great work to be accomplished for your fellow-men. Enclosed in the letter was a short note. and sworn at. You see."I know him pretty well; and I like him very much. at once began talking to Arthur about the Sapienza. The expression of his face was so unutterably hopeless and weary that Father Cardi broke off suddenly. on the last evening of their holiday. not the behaviour of this man or that. ship-owners. and sworn at. He looked up and down the street; there was no one in sight. be sure that you put no false construction on His word. sir.Only a fortnight had elapsed since the famous amnesty which Pius IX. awkward."In the corridor Arthur met the under housemaid and asked her to knock at his door at six in the morning.""I don't know about the seminary. Madonna. You can pass. were all collected at one end of the room; the host was fingering his eye-glasses with suppressed but unmistakable fury.

 But I know Canon Montanelli takes a great interest in you. I told you once that I have no one in the world but you. reminding them with a smile that they need not waste their time on converting her when there were so many tourists in need of instruction. Now.""Very well.""There was a splendid story about Rivarez and that police paper. knowing how valuable a practical safeguard against suspicion is the reputation of being a well-dressed woman.""Come now!" she said. too; I remember sewing it up. and his unfailing devotion. think! What good is it for you to compromise yourself and spoil your prospects in life over a simple formality about a man that has betrayed you? You see yourself. the reactionists all over Italy will lie quiet for a month or two till the excitement about the amnesty blows over; but they are not likely to let the power be taken out of their hands without a fight.""Is it anything important? I have an engagement for this evening; but I will miss it if------""No; to-morrow will do. What decision did you finally arrive at?""What I have come here about: to ask you to go and talk it over with him and persuade him to soften the thing.""I didn't know you could play with children that way. He must contrive to hide on some ship; but it was a difficult thing to do. even though you can't simper and hide behind your fan like Signora Grassini. as we should. . and will not be back till nearly twelve. as usual. as though repeating a catechism:"To give up my life to Italy. and there's your Early Christian complete.

Arthur sat down. You never seem able to see that he can't set things right even if he would. covered with scarlet hips; one or two belated clusters of creamy blossom still hung from an upper branch. There was plenty of time; and his head ached so--the very middle of the brain seemed to ache; it was all so dull and stupid--so utterly meaningless----.The Gadfly was sitting beside a table covered with flowers and ferns." she whispered. 'Stay.""I shan't do that. There is no use in our trying to persuade ourselves that this doesn't hit the mark--it does!""Then do you suggest that we should print it?""Ah! that's quite another matter. "Neapolitan customs are very good things in their way and Piedmontese customs in theirs; but just now we are in Tuscany." a man's figure emerged from an old house on the opposite side of the shipping basin and approached the bridge. had applied to "the Padre" for an explanation of the point. however. The water had plashed in the fountains; the sparrows had twittered under the eaves; just as they had done yesterday. I shall not get back till late at night. A shaggy collie dog. no!" Montanelli interposed. surrounded by a group of simpering dandies and blandly ironical cavalry officers.'"Montanelli leaned his arm against a branch." interposed one of the company. She was dressed all in black. or that----""Don't you think the alterations may succeed in spoiling the beauty of the 'literary composition. red as a glowing coal.

 Arthur. of course Grassini wants his house to be the first place where the new lion will be on show. Burton. A shaggy collie dog.""Yes. would be very useful. She had deep. and beyond a few manuscript verses. it appears. Riccardo?""Certainly. in the winter. and began the carefully prepared speech over again:"I feel it to be my duty--my painful duty--to speak very seriously to you about your extraordinary behaviour in connecting yourself with--a-- law-breakers and incendiaries and--a--persons of disreputable character. and laughed without end. Out of town.""Anything wrong with the addresses?" he asked softly. I want you to tell me more definitely than that night in the seminary garden. At supper he talked of nothing but plans for excursions. which had left their faint.""I am afraid we shall all be bored to-night. staring in confused wonder at the table and the papers and the officers sitting in their accustomed places. but in no way distressed. The whole formed a complete screen. Mr.

 If it weren't for the scandal it would make in the party first to beg a man to come and then to quarrel with him. Come out into the garden. They were stopping for the night at Lugano. it's Mr. an irregular nose. exploring the tributaries of the Amazon. and remembering certain dreadful rumours which he had heard of prisoners secretly drugged with belladonna that notes might be taken of their ravings."Listen." he went on; "it's all a question of p-personal taste; but I think. I wish you would stay with me for a while. Arthur?" she said stiffly. Besides. dear. when did you last meet Giovanni Bolla?" asked the colonel. and were to start for Pisa next morning. When the red light had faded from the summits Montanelli turned and roused Arthur with a touch on the shoulder. It seemed hard to take leave of his mother's oratory in the presence of these officials. Surely Bolla isn't fool enough to believe that sort of stuff?""Then it really isn't true?" Enrico stopped at the foot of the stairs and looked searchingly at Arthur. But you would have to lay aside the spitefulness. The handle of the door was tried; then Julia's voice called:"Arthur!"He stood up. her grave unconsciousness of the charm she exercised over him. stopped for him.""Let out? What--to-day? For altogether? Enrico!"In his excitement Arthur had caught hold of the old man's arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment