Wednesday, March 13, 2013

10 Armor: The Dainty Rogues do D&D burlesque

While there’s a lot of excitement in seeing someone dressed up in an awesome Wolverine or Jean Grey costume, there’s just as much excitement in watching that costume be removed. The Brew City Bombshells had a geek-themed show a few years ago, and some of the members spun off that theme by forming the Dainty Rogues and producing sexy, nerdy entertainment. The Rogues are set to première “Damsels And Dragons” March 16 at the Miramar Theatre, which centers around Dungeons & Dragons, and even includes a chance to roll a 20-sided die for a lower ticket price. Sure, there are boobs, but there are also ribald songs, dance routines, and Mountain Dew jokes aplenty. The A.V. Club sat down with Polly Amour, one of the founders of the Dainty Rogues, to talk about the difference between sexy tassels and Tasslehoff Burrfoot. The A.V. Club: Who are the Dainty Rogues? Polly Amour: The Dainty Rogues is a troupe of geeky theatrics. We’re burlesque dancers, we’re play actors, we’re drag kings, we’re comedians, we are performers in any way we see fit. We formed out of the clay last year with big ideas and no budget. All of the performers contributed by putting their time, energy, and sometimes money into each production to make it the best it can be. We strive to please the nerds and geeks in all of us, but entertain any and everyone. AVC: What inspired a show themed around Dungeons & Dragons? PA: Our last Dainty Rogue production was steampunk-themed, and that went over really well. When my partner was coming up with gaming ideas for a D&D campaign he ran, I thought about how fun some of the encounters would be onstage. Fire-breathing dragons turned into scantily clad women eating fire. Sorceresses were dancing to “Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic” in my mind. Gorgeous mermaids that turned evil and murdered adventurers swam around my head. I was smitten with the idea, and when I asked my fellow performers if they had any interest, I found out that almost every one of them was either an active D&D player, or had been in their life. That sealed the deal. I knew my geeky performer friends would be able to come through and put something magical together. AVC: Do you have a favorite D&D class? PA: Rogue is my favorite class, of course! I find it very hard to be a serious gamer, so whenever I got the chance, I stole, and I betrayed other players. Plus, rogues are sexy and sly, and I love that about them. AVC: Favorite D&D monster? PA: I love the sexy side of D&D. The temptresses and succubi that seduce men to their doom are my favorite encounters and monsters. AVC: What stats would a burlesque RPG have? PA: A burlesque RPG would include stats like creativity, vulgarity, comedy, and charisma. AVC: How did you get involved with burlesque? PA: My favorite movie when I was around 5 was the musical Gypsy, with Natalie Wood. I have always felt a connection with Gypsy Rose Lee and her crazy upbringing, because it was eerily similar to parts of my own messed-up childhood. No insane pageant-mom, thankfully, but my family definitely had its share of crazy. I took a burlesque dance class at The Tool Shed three years ago, taught by Brew City Bombshell Burlesque. They were auditioning then, but I was too scared to apply. I later got involved in burlesque through modeling, and having the same pin-up-style photographers as many of the Brew City Bombshells. When they were holding auditions a year later, a photographer I was shooting with told me I should try out, and I took a chance. They liked my style, and I had my first show a month later. AVC: What do you have in store for the future? PA: We’re already well on our way to writing a script and planning our next Dainty Rogues show, which will be film-noir themed. We’re very excited about it. Think private detectives, think femme fatales, and think sexy lounge singers that meet an untimely fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment